Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Open Door Garden Policy

Hi all,

Nice crisp cold morning!

Does anyone have an open door garden policy that wouldn't mind sharing?

We keep our garden doors open from 9am - 5pm so children have a free choice if they wish to play in the garden, however now the colder weather is upon us I know some parents are going to have a problem with their children playing outside all day - a policy however, should fix this problem :o

Thanks

x

Hi, we have a set of free flow procedures, but I don't think that's quite what you're after.

I know there is this whole 'no such thing as unsuitable weather, only unsuitable clothing' thing going on on early years right now, but as a parent I feel I should have the right to have some say in whether my child plays outside all day in the freezing cold. Would it not be fair for me to say that 8 hours outside seems like too much if it's freezing? (If you're a forest school, then I've signed up for that, so it would be fair enough, obviously.) For instance, if the child has a cough or cold, I would expect as a parent to be able to ask that you keep her well wrapped up and mostly indoors.

Just wanted to put a different perspective really and to play devil's advocate.

At our preschool the children do free flow but parents know they will be coming inside for snack time mid morning and for lunch. There aren't many that would choose to stay outside all day long anyway.

I think it's actually useful for the children to have some semblance of a 'school day' type approach, as they will have to get used to this eventually. I love the idea of free flow but as with most things in teaching I think it has to be applied flexibly and not be seen as inherently good of itself without us constantly questioning our approaches.

couldnt disagree more, some of the best learning takes place outside. We offer free flow in all weathers. The point is children make the choice. If they choose outside then it our duty to make sure they are clothed adequatly and appropriatly.

we have sessions where we do not set up in the hall and spent the morning outside, its fantastic, we also spend 1 morning a month in the forest. The laerning has been amazing and the data we have collected proves this.

If children or unwell with a cough or cold then they should not be in otherwise being outside does not give you a cough or a cold or make it worse. infact as proven by the forest schools in Norway, thier children have fewer illness.

The other point is we are not a school

Guest pamgreen

I entirely agree. We were at forest school yesterday it was cold but fantastic. I agree if children are not well enough to play outside they should not be in nursery.

Guest pamgreen

Hi we are really fortunate we have our forest school in a woodland area of a local childrens farm. We have had forest school in our setting for about 5 years. We have been at our present site for about 3 years. Parents drop their children off a the farm at 9 every wedneday morning, we walk to the forest school and we return to nursery on the tracor and trailer. Our nursery is very close to the farm but just too far to walk. Last week we had a fire and cooked toast. It is fantastic, our numbers are lower at the moment we take 14 children at the end of the summer term we were taking 27 children including one little guy with quite complex needs. When we had our Ofsted two years ago the inspector came with us and it helped us to get an Outstanding we must be the only nursery to have cow poo mentioned in their inspection report!!!!

Hello all, new girl here!

I think the open door policy is great and although its taken time for some staff to get into it, most of them can now see the benefits. All we need now is a little under cover area for the children that want to stay outside but aren't too keen when its raining.This week I'll be mostly looking for something for the (open door) to keep the draughts away for the winter.The long heavy duty plastic strips that some shops have. Does anybody know what its called or better still where I can get some.

Hello all, new girl here!

I think the open door policy is great and although its taken time for some staff to get into it, most of them can now see the benefits. All we need now is a little under cover area for the children that want to stay outside but aren't too keen when its raining.This week I'll be mostly looking for something for the (open door) to keep the draughts away for the winter.The long heavy duty plastic strips that some shops have. Does anybody know what its called or better still where I can get some.

Looking forward to replies on this one may Help with door being open all session as we lose a lot of heat and hall mangement not really happy. If we shut the door we can't get back in from outside and defeats the free flow choice for children.

Staff getting used to it only have one out of eight not too happy (she hate the cold well hey so do I but its part of the job we do)

I've got these plastic strips from freeflowcurtains.co.uk. It costs about £100 for a standard door and we bought an additional hanging bar for our back door so we can move the curtains to that when that is open. Definitely worth it. We use it all winter even as children arrive as our single open plan room gets very cold very quickly. Well worth having and it makes a tremendous difference. We put a plastic wedge on side of door so that it cannot shut completely so that children have easy access in and out.

korkycat

I've got these plastic strips from freeflowcurtains.co.uk. It costs about £100 for a standard door and we bought an additional hanging bar for our back door so we can move the curtains to that when that is open. Definitely worth it. We use it all winter even as children arrive as our single open plan room gets very cold very quickly. Well worth having and it makes a tremendous difference. We put a plastic wedge on side of door so that it cannot shut completely so that children have easy access in and out.

korkycat

Thanks for thats, sadly, we're always short of money, so £100 is a bit pricey for us. I've been online all morning and think I have the answer.

I've decided to make my own. You can buy the strips on a roll on ebay, 100mm wide,2 mm thick. (£32) The rolls are 20 or 50 mts long which is enough for two doors dependent on size.

Just attach the strips to a piece of wood and fix to the wall. I intend to use dowl (a broom handle is perfect) and put it up onto large cup hooks so we can remove it when needed.

This is the theory, I'll get back to you all when I've made it!!

Edited by Toots

Thanks for thats, sadly, we're always short of money, so £100 is a bit pricey for us. I've been online all morning and think I have the answer.

I've decided to make my own. You can buy the strips on a roll on ebay, 100mm wide,2 mm thick. (£32) The rolls are 20 or 50 mts long which is enough for two doors dependent on size.

Just attach the strips to a piece of wood and fix to the wall. I intend to use dowl (a broom handle is perfect) and put it up onto large cup hooks so we can remove it when needed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=250699028338

This is the link to the pvc strips

Edited by Toots

Well done you! Make sure you post a picture when you've done it all. Who knows, this could be a useful little sideline - how much would you charge to make them to order? :o

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!

Maz

How fantastic a farm and woodland.

we have taken children with severe complex needs and really noticed a difference in those children.

we take 26 children,

Also it is interesting that the settings that have been part of the forsest school experience also have outstanding when they had their ofsteds.................. still awaiting mine :)

Also it is interesting that the settings that have been part of the forsest school experience also have outstanding when they had their ofsteds.................. still awaiting mine :)

No pressure there then Suer!

It is lovely reading these accounts of how children are enjoying high quality outdoor experiences of one kind or another. This is what I love about being a member of the Forum - everyone has something to share that can shape and inform other peoples' practice!

Maz

Guest pamgreen

I am thrilled I am not terribly sure of how to use the forum properly Sue has been the first person to reply to a posting of mine. I love forest school and I have had so much help form this site x

It is a great way to network, which is really a great way to take and adapt something for your setting and as no setting is the same as Maz says its great to 'hear' even if you don't always agree with it.

As you say no pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were due Ofsted a year ago, so now its been 4 years but hey ho will keep my mobile near when i am off or doing paperwork at home :)

Edited by Suer

Well done you! Make sure you post a picture when you've done it all. Who knows, this could be a useful little sideline - how much would you charge to make them to order? :o

Welcome to the Forum, by the way!

Maz

I made the door curtain and it works a treat. I'll take a picture soon and post it.

As for wwwfreeflow curtains, I admire the fact that they're supplying to a need but urge you all to have a go and save money.

I made the door curtain and it works a treat. I'll take a picture soon and post it.

As for wwwfreeflow curtains, I admire the fact that they're supplying to a need but urge you all to have a go and save money.

Well done! I'm quite inspired now... staple gun at the ready as I only attempt makes that involve that and/or the hot glue gun! xD

Mind you, as a childminder I'm usually out there with them - thanks be for waterproofs and bodywarmers :o

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)