Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Parents Information Board

Hi all

Ive been asked to create a display around reading to give our parents some information on how they could support their children at home. We have a lot of parents that dont really read with their children at home for many reasons and ideally I want to inspire them to read with their children even just once in a while.

Any ideas what I could include in the display for example useful websites and tips etc. Im also going to display our bookstart books with some ideas for my reception parents and pictures of children reading in school but then im a bit stuck

Thanks for reading! Ems

Not sure I can add anything new to what you must already thinking about Ems, but off the top of my head how about some 'factoids' Did you know that reading 5 minutes everyday is more beneficial than .......' 'Did you know that reading just one story per day to your child will increase the likelihood that .............' type of thingy!!!

How about lots of examples of different things to read like a menu, some signs, posters, tickets, comic etc. and give the message that reading is everywhere and can be done everywhere.

Shopping lists, letter to father Christmas, food labels,carrier bags, etc.

Definitely make it clear that it doesn't have to be stories - could be a magazine related to a hobby.

Also have somewhere a signpost to basic skills training so that parents who feel their lak of confidence in their literacy skills holds them back can get help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)