Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unpaid Training?

Just looking for a few opinions on this, I have been asked to undertake training one day of the weekend for 3 weekends, It is company policy thatwe do not get paid overtime at all and do not get time in-lieu back for extra training, I have already done a 20 hour course in the evening with no time back and regularly take my paperwork home off my own back but have said to my boss as i am a single parent I can not attend training on 3 weekend days (especially as it is unpaid as i wouldn't even beable to pay for childcare) which has now become a big issue to the point it is threatened traing for everyone will be cancelled because I am not attending causing tension between myself and my collegues.

Would they not pay your childcare costs even if they won't pay you or give you time off ? Is there no other time that the course is running or is this the only option. Its a difficult one really, as a manager I give my staff the time back or payment for courses outside of work hours, but understand that not all budgets can run to this. I assume your colleagues don't have children or are happy to train at weekends, but am sure they must see things your way also ?

I would not ask my staff to attend training for no pay, although I have considered saying that I won't pay for them to attend training they are doing for self-interest rather than because I need them to do it to support their job. But that's another story.

I can well understand that this is causing problems in your group - although I would have hoped colleagues might have been a little more understanding in recognising that you would find it very difficult to attend training at weekends. Your colleagues may well be happy to go out at weekends to train (I like a nice Saturday training myself), however not everyone is able (or wants) to attend training at weekends and that really must be respected.

I'd say stick to your guns but I know how uncomfortable it can be to be the object of everyone's displeasure (although frankly I'd cheer you on if I thought you were getting me out of having to attend training on three Saturdays without being paid!).

One other thought I had was about how the extra unpaid work affects your hourly wage. If you worked it all out and found that you are paid the equivalent of less than the minimum wage for the work you are contracted to do, then your employer is breaking the law.

Good luck - I hope you get it all sorted amicably and that team morale emerges strengthened.

Maz

Thanks guys, Jayne - No they would not pay childcare costs (i wish LOL) and no aside from one other lady who has older childrena and a husband I am the only one with a child.

and Maz i wouldn't mind if it was a course of my own itrest area that I had opted for but it's first aid and they had problems booking us on the LA course as they were all full and without wanting to sound hard done by I get paid 30p above the min wage and have already done 20 hours of unpaid courses in the evening aside from all the times I have had to take home my planning and evaluations lol don't mean to sound bitter but it's kind of got to me abit.

without wanting to sound hard done by I get paid 30p above the min wage and have already done 20 hours of unpaid courses in the evening aside from all the times I have had to take home my planning and evaluations lol don't mean to sound bitter but it's kind of got to me abit.

I think most people would say you have a genuine grievance and it deserves to be taken seriously. 30p an hour above minimum wage doesn't leave much leeway for doing extra unpaid hours - I'd speak to ACAS and see what they say before deciding on your next move.

Personally I don't think the whole team should do their first aid training together - it just means that you'll be facing this problem again in three years. Much better to stagger it so that you don't have that panic to make sure everyone's certificate is renewed at the same time.

But that's beside the point really - you have a right to feel peeved and surely you have the right to say that you are not prepared to give up time with your child to attend this training that will leave you out of pocket financially if you have to pay for childcare to attend training that you won't get paid for.

I really feel for you.

Maz

Im with Maz on the not all training together thing, we all go at different times and it means that there will always be someone with up-to-date knowledge (small things do change with regard to first aid) and someone is always qualified.

In our area, First Aid training is still paid for by LA and it is put on during the week 12 hours over 2 days, I pay my staff to attend.

I assume you all need to go at the same time because your company has bought a package or would like to anyway. Would there be any way you could access a Red Cross or St. Johns Ambulance course in the evenings sometime in the near future rather than the weekends as evening courses don't appear to cause you as much difficulty.

Hi smallsmall we all know that we have to undertake training, it might be for our own development, legislation or just because its something your interested in, but it does appears very harsh for you to have to get childcare/pay for and give up three Saturdays with no renumeration..

Is there anyway you could explain this and find a course more suited to your situation.

I'm not sure they can make you do it but i presume it would be very akward for you if you don't.

I would seek a time to speak to your Manager to explain the issues and see if they can help resolve them.

Looks like you already do beyond your duties and what could be seen as reasonable unpaid as it is.

Goodwill is one thing taking the mickey is quite another. :o

Ask if you can take your daughter with you. I took my son once, although that was my DPP, so a bit different.

It can be difficult to always find the money but even so, you've done way and beyond anything I would expect staff to do. As childcarers, who should understand the importance of working WITH families, I'm surprised they feel your family doesnt count.

Stick to your guns, try not to feel you're letting the team down, you're not, the management is letting you down by demanding your attendance and putting you under this pressure.

Good luck :oxD

Speak to ACAS about your legal position, they are always very helpful.

As far as I'm aware, your employer cannot force you to do ANYTHING unpaid, but merely ask! They are being completely unreasonable in my opinion, I would certainly not expect my staff to do this.