Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playing Outside In All Weather- Appropiate Clothing

Hi everyone

I am very keen to allow the children to explore all the elements as long as it nots too extreme.

Now some of my children don't come with coats on :S so I am going to put a notice out to remind all parents to try and ensure that their childre are equipped for all weather for outside play but I struggling how to word it

Any help would be appreciated!!! Would like to link it into EYFS as I have a few parents who will not take too lightly to the idea of going out in the rain so really need to sell it

We often started our day with use of the school playground and so the parent came to realise that we would be going out in the rain. There was one day of extremely high winds when we didn't go out due to flying debris but apart from that always out.

I told any parents who grumbled that it was part of the curriculum and if the children were dressed appropriately and with a change of clothes it would be great fun. Maybe you could do a display about it, I remember finding some stuff about the importance of outdoor play, adding photos of the children to it and putting them up around the centre.

Someone will come along with a fabulous answer, they're just not up as early as me! ; )

Hi,

A couple of years ago, we had just ONE child who had a raincoat and wellies with her on a very wet day. So she went outside and I took a gorgeous photograph of her stood in all her gear in the rain, had a large copy done and posted it on our door with "there is no such thing as bad weather, just inapporpriate clothing"

plus the odd comment of "susan was desperate to join in outside today but we couldn't allow her because she didn't have a coat/boots, are you able to bring some in?" that usually does the trick!

Though I have to say the best thing was setting up our outdoor gear. A dad built us a wooden welly stand which is now full of the children's wellies as well as some spares. We bought 15 sets of waterproofs which cost us just over £100. And as we are only registered for 20 children we find this is enough as you never find ALL the children want to be outside.

I know finances are often tight but I would say that this is now an essential resource as you just can't rely on parents xD:o it has absolutely transformed us, we are outside every day and it is fantastic!

We have a child who has been attending for 9 months and chooses not to speak to any of the adults, ever..... this week he has developed a love of the boats (outside in the rain!) and has talked non-stop - it's amazing and was worth the £100+ just to see that one child's development.

x x x x x

Funds don't permitt waterproofs at the moment :o were a playgroup and struggling to pay wages and rent due to most children not being old enough to claim NEG

Love the pic idea though

golly - sorry to hear that xD

while it is difficult to spend money when wages and rent obviously come first but would your committee/staff agree to a special fund raiser just for this purpose? just wonder whether you could really promote how necessary these are and then have an event where it is already agred that any money raised is spend on waterproofs?

What about bags2school? www.bags2school.com is totally free and they collect bags of unwanted clothing, shoes, bags, soft toys, curtains, linen, etc. and then pay you lots of money! we have raised between £90 and £150 for our collections. Do you have a village newsletter where you could ask for donations? one collection could get your waterproofs. swap your old stuff for new waterproofs!

don't want to waffle on - pm me if you want to know exactly how it works and how we run our collections.

Good luck! Wish I could lend you ours.....

hi mps09

re : www.bags2school.com

are you sure about this website address? looks strange when I go there - can't see where I'm meant to be

Edited by Cait

hi mps09

re : www.bags2school.com

are you sure about this website address? looks strange when I go there - can't see where I'm meant to be

OOPPS!!! It should be www.bag2school.com!

Thank you Cait!

having read this i have decided i'm a bit mean :o i expect my parents to provide coats and wellies for their children...we have always asked and no one has ever refused we do have loads of 2nd hand wellies which we offer if they are struggling for money and we do have some spare coats for emergencies...most of the children don't really like wearing these so nag their parents the next time....ah the benefits of pester power xD always find a polite reminder notice works well something along the lines of 'the rain is falling down now, hiphip hip hooray the rain is falling down now so bring coats and boots each day!!! (with appropiate clip art pics) works quite well!