Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health & Safety

Hi all, I wonder if somebody could help me please?

Staff have complained that their Backs, Knees and ankles are hurting them due to them having to sit on very low toddler sized chairs during the pre-school session.

Now I want to be sympathetic, and try not to make comments like "Well dont sit down then!", but I accept that there are times that they have to sit down, bringing themselves down to childs level, enjoying activities alongside children etc.

Do pre-schools have different level chairs for staff? We are a pack away setting that have access to community hall chairs, however these fold up and have a hole in the lower back area which I wouldn't be happy about them using.

Any other suggestions please

Thank you

Debbie

It's a glitch isn't it? The chairs are great for the children but its a nightmare for staff. We've found if we sit on 'normal' sized chairs then the children are staring at our knees!

Am interested in solutions cos it's expected that seating is correct for the children

Hi we have the Gopak nursery chairs, but also have a slightly wider higher chair which we allocate around the room.

Staff usually sit on those, i think these were from Gopak too.

Not ideal to have adult size chairs out during a session as certainly not suitable for our children. The only time we really do struggle is when we cook each half-term. Its a killer bending down at the small tables.

Will be interested to see any other suggestions too. :o

Our sessions are 3 hours long but you wouldn't expect to be sitting for that length of time. We sit on children's chairs and on cushions of the floor and nobody has complained so far.

I am rather broad in the beam when it comes to my rear end and I've never had any cause to complain...........too well padded perhaps!!! xD:o

Guest jenpercy

the Japanese and other s sit on the floor into old age. I suspect it's a case of use it or lose it. That's why I took up bellydancing at my advanced age and am now more flexible than I was at 20!!!

I had an issue with height of chairs but was lucky to have a chair which was slightly higher than the children's which I used... ours was one I found in the hall but would suggest looking for teachers chair - I know there were some when I was looking for some child height chairs.. or you can get the children's chairs at different heights.. perhaps look and order some of those ..

It was actually amazing how long we spend sat down to get to the children's level..

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)