Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Role In The Session, Planning And Observing Etc

We have 4 staff between 2 playrooms and the garden, the children are aged 2-5 years in a free flow environment -its is so very hard to deploy the staff and get activities and observations done as well as nappies/routines done etc

Can you please explain to me your staff roles throughout the session ie do you have a designated member of staff observing the target children, doing focus activities etc

thanks

Each one of my staff is responsible for observing their own key children and planning for their next steps within the EYFS framework. They note down significant milestones, needs or steps and work on those. If they see something from a child not in their group they either tell the Key or note it on a post it and stick it on the board. They take photographs to enhance their observations and to stick in the child's home diary, which they also maintain.

we had all staff noting any significant mini obs for any of the children during the session which was put in an envelope on the wall for the keyworker, who checked them, put them in the journeys and used them to do next step planning for their children..

anything we felt needed a longer specific ob was completed by the keyworker

during focus activity the staff member doing it with the children would make observational notes which went into keyworkers envelope..

In our case we only had 5 staff.. with a max of 4 on at any one time.. usually 3 though..

Our keyworkers worked in pairs with a primary one who did the paperwork and secondary to help where needed.. mainly because of shifts we could never have a keyworker in all the time with a child..

Inge

we have children from 2/12 to school age

we operate in a large hall an also offer free flow the whole session (last 1/2 hour is tidy up and story)

we have 5 staff in during a session and upto 26 children

my staff have a set day to key work on and thats all they are on the rota for

other staff are rota'd for different things

ie outside, snack, or adult focused activity, story groups

staff have to obsereve where they are needed and go depending on ratio's

staff also take photo's and plan next steps for following week but this is done at home

we have children from 2/12 to school age

we operate in a large hall an also offer free flow the whole session (last 1/2 hour is tidy up and story)

we have 5 staff in during a session and upto 26 children

my staff have a set day to key work on and thats all they are on the rota for

other staff are rota'd for different things

ie outside, snack, or adult focused activity, story groups

staff have to obsereve where they are needed and go depending on ratio's

staff also take photo's and plan next steps for following week but this is done at home

That's exactly what we do!

Hi Seur,

I have a packaway nursery - everything comes down displays children work etc. W have a free flow system until 11.30 then children tidy up to music, going onto singing time with action songs - we had a large intake of 2 year olds. we then have our focus group sessions which staff plan for however I am finding it difficult to set an area for them as they keep their plans guarded, some I know are doing it others are not.

How can I encourage staff to share plans, our area and table top plans are done by myself and deputy which can also be changed to follow children's needs

can someone help I have a meeting tomorrow

we have 8 staff and are on a rota system eg outside, a rolling snack and observation

Can some one explain the key worker system

Hi spreaders,

The keyworker system is a really great way of helping the children (and families) settle with you and feel they are important as well as ensuring children's individual needs are met.

Basically, when a family come to you they are allocated a keyworker/keyperson (KP) who will act as a focus for them. the KP will ease the child's settling time, liaise with family and generally oil the wheels in the initial part of a child's time. Usually, but not always - different settings have different needs (Pre-school/ day nursery etc)- they will remain the main channel for communication, whilst always reporting back to whoever is leading the setting. In some settings the KP also undertakes all intimate care, to strengthen the bond and increase a child's sense of security - a back-up KP as Inge mentioned is thus a good idea, if you can manage it, as staff do have an annoying habit of having holidays!! :o

They usually have responsibility for maintaining developmental records, observations, planning next steps etc, although this doesn't mean that KPs only look to 'their' children - the care of ALL the children is everyone's job!

With regard your sharing plans request - why don't you ask your staff to suggest an activity each week/day (whatever would suit YOU) that would benefit one/some of their key children, or help their observations/development plans? If you left a list or a planning grid available for ideas, you might be surprised!! If you can't use them all straight away, you'll have some in reserve!

Hope this helps,

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)