Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Working With Your Own Children

Does anyone have any top tips on working with your own children - ie your own children attend an early years setting and how to help them cope with the fact that mummy is a practitioner and not the child's key worker, help the practitioner cope with colleagues dealing with behavioural issues etc...

I used to make sure I turned my back when any unwanted behaviour was on display, and made sure another practitioner saw it and dealt with it.

I never brought up stuff at home that happened at nursery (except for the good stuff).

I know other practitioners who used to say goodbye to their child before the session began so that they got to understand that 'mummy' had been replaced by 'teacher' if that makes sense.

I'll keep thinking!

Maz

Have had quite a few staff's children over many years, and what has always been discussed with me is that they ie parent/staff member would like me to treat their children the same as any other child. I know professionally thats what should happen and overall that has been the case but there has been the odd occasion when you feel uncomfortable and almost cruel in doing so.

Sorry meant to ask is it really impossible if the child finds it to difficult for the parent to be the keyperson.

Edited by bridger

We didnt have key people when I worked with my son, but I dont think it would have made much difference to him or me if he couldnt have been in my group, but thats because my son wasnt at all clingy or needy of mom. I think its something you have to decide on an individual basis, some children and parents cope well with the whole thing and all the pros and cons of it, others dont and then you need to look at adapting how you work.

My son was known as a 'lovable rogue' (can you picture him?! :o ) he was always in need of a chat with an adult. Other staff would speak with him, sometimes at my prompting, but if I saw something I'd tell him. I hope I was fair, using the same tone of voice for him as I would for eveyone else. It hasnt done him any harm, in fact a few months ao he said 'remember when I was at playgroup? I was really naughty' He listed a few of the things he remembered doing but said 'I dont know why I did it, I just did'. He's 17 now.

Like Maz said, never talk about the bad stuff at home, its finished.

If its you this is about, good luck, I fund it stressful at times but that was down to a boss who had perfect children.

I have loved having my children at pre-school with me! As long as the 'mummy' is ok for other staff to deal with any issues and staff know that you won't mind then it shouldn't be a problem. My big boy went to school last week and the staff at pre-school are really missing him, he started at 2 but would often visit from a being a baby. He was 'almost' always well behaved.

Now my 2 year old daughter is with us, she's more of a handful and can get a little jealous from time to time, but I often don't see her as she's off happily playing! She'll come over for a quick cuddle and be off again. Staff are great with her :)

I have worked successfully with my daughter, but not sure I could have done with my son, it really depends on the child. I was a childminder previous to coming to preschool, and my daughter grew up sharing me with the childminded children. It was my eldest, my son that I always had to change my childminding working hours around and the reason I eventually gave up childminding. Working with my daughter was exactly as Maz and Rea have posted, and I loved every minute of having the privledge to see her go through the EYFS and know what she was talking about when she was talking about things she was doing in Reception. It has massively influenced me as a practitioner positively with thinking about how much we tell the parents about what the children have been doing and are going to be doing etc.

Clare x

(ps don't get me wrong I adore my son and we are very close, I just couldn't work with him around!!) x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)