Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling Rather Dispirited

waveawand

Hiya All, yes I know I promised to come back with more good news but its been a rather long week. Firstly last Friday my mindee of fiveyears was taken away to Blooming Schools out if you please. I knew nothing other than the scrap of paper through the door scenario again. thats the startof the saga with me now chasing for payment for insufficient notice. The other wonderful news which I dont feel wonderful about it this. I do hope you are all comfortable and have a glass of something to hand....

Loads of enquiries as I said previously; a singlemum (recently -Feb) of two boys under three ~( 1.5/2.5yrs) came around after a long chat on phone. Loved me and my home. Doesnt want to go anywhere else.(hasnt even looked cos the vibes here are ssooo good xD ) Problem is that I have only one FT place and not two. Thought of coworker/assistant. Spoke to Ofsted got the low down. Then my cm friend would only like 08.30-3.30 for days I would need her. Think that at least school runs are covered but Ideally wanted someone with me for duration as wouldnt dream of having four under threes on my own ( one is my own by the way). Except that after meeting the boys the eldest is more like a three - four year old in stature and a very placid manner. thought dynamics of all kids together would work. on this premise ring the 'office' to sound out what could be done. They basically told me that if I had started ( this is what is REALLY P888ing me off) settling in the kids because it amounted to a "change in criteria and circumstance" that I would be given the variation I was requesting !!!!!( cover for after the other cm left as I need to have lo's till 6.00pm). Im stunned and said " but I wouldnt do that as I would be breaking the requirements sent out on my reg cert) He said "he knew but if i knew the system better.... Im was fishing for that information" ( I said that they had been around only to see my premises and meet me but then added that we were trying to sort out a daily rate) to which he said " im not allowed to give advice..... but Im being lenient (???)now and will after info xyz has been given to grant the variation." To which Im afraid I swore a few (politely ?)times and stated that I was trying to be upfront with them and stick within the requirements on my reg . ie Im not going to say I can take on a mindee when I know full well Im not allowed to...!!! (Im so stunned and disallusioned with this bureaucratic system) The chap from the 'office' said (on prompting from me) that the legislation is written by the DHSS? and they do "tentatively" suggest there are flaws !!!!!

I cant write anymore cos everytime I run this over I tempted to blag the books cos apparantly it pays!!! Honest? conformity to rules and regs ? Why tell me are we bothering? dont let me tempt you too much to reply-- Im soooooo cross. I should be otherwise and now to that wine (again!!) :o

Oh the frustration! If you have children in the upper end of the EYFS age OFSTED have been happy to grant me variations for four children under 5. In my experience I have had applications for extra days or extended hours for settled children which have taken me over my numbers - O have been eager to offer me the extra place and it has worked out well.

My advice would be to get the child in for two hours a week and then you will know them a bit and OFSTED will be happy to grant the place. Just say Mum's other childcare has fallen through.

My problem is that I would like an extra under 8 place for an hour or so after school one or two days a week and they won't even consider that.

Honey

Oh, and another thing...OFSTED also suggested to me that I take on an assistant. I thought that unless I was quite full with the extra places, the assistant wouldn't pay. Too much risk for a childminder to take on I thought.

Just for the record, how old are the other children in your setting?

Honey

I have to say that I have worked answering people's queries on the phones before (although not for Ofsted) and I did try to give them a little 'helping hand' every now and then when I felt the system was ridiculous and knew no one would ever take any notice of it. Everyone does it and it's equally frustrating when the person you're trying to help doesn't 'take the bait' so to speak! :o Sometimes it's worth just playing the system a little bit, but if you really don't feel comfortable doing it then of course go with what you feel is best. Systems are put in place by people who have no idea what it's like on the front line and those who are there unfortunately have to try and deal with the problems it creates however they see fit.

:o Typical Ofsted!!!!

Theoretically then, you could sign up one of the children, run with that for a few days and then phone Ofsted back and say that childcare for his sibling has fallen through/isn't working out and it's in the children's best interests for them to be together and then they'd grant the variation???!!!

Obviously, you'd have to point out to Ofsted that you wouldn't dream of breaching your ratios, not least because your public liability insurance would be invalid.........

Nona

I know it can be annoying but he was trying to help you by advising a way of getting around the system, i have done this, settled one child in whilst mum was on maternity and then applied for a variation, having said that from what i heard from another cm this does not have to be the case now, but there has to be no other places available in the area for the parent to use and ofsted will consider it after checking on local availabilty :)

Another local cm applied for a variation and had a on the spot visit from O as they thought she was over her numbers, but her own son was in reception, at the time she was in the same situation and the inspector told her to start one child then wait a few weeks and contact ofsted, she said that it was a silly rule, but one of many!!!

Oh, and another thing...OFSTED also suggested to me that I take on an assistant. I thought that unless I was quite full with the extra places, the assistant wouldn't pay. Too much risk for a childminder to take on I thought.

Just for the record, how old are the other children in your setting?

Honey

Hiya thanks forthe reply -The other children Honey, would be my son at 2.5yrs and one 18mths.

:o Typical Ofsted!!!!

Theoretically then, you could sign up one of the children, run with that for a few days and then phone Ofsted back and say that childcare for his sibling has fallen through/isn't working out and it's in the children's best interests for them to be together and then they'd grant the variation???!!!

Obviously, you'd have to point out to Ofsted that you wouldn't dream of breaching your ratios, not least because your public liability insurance would be invalid.........

Nona

Hiya Nona, but this is my point, I WOULDNT dream of breaching my ratios but he was inferring that if I had started the process of doing exactly that then he would be able to say yes to the variation request ! Ive never been so dissillusioned - what is the point of a reg certif if they say we can ignore it even temporarily ?

He is going to say yes anyway. Now of course Im dithering not with the work of everyday care but the paperwork its going to create. That shouldnt be dictating what im going to do as I would like to help this single parent. I wouldnt be hesistating except that my coworker cant work till 6.00pm and it was the last two hours of the day that I will be on my own. These as we all know are the toughest. But I think before I scare myself out of it all completely I will suggest a trial run and see just how it works out or not.....

Oh and it was a recorded conversation - they always are now !!! xD

and the inspector told her to start one child then wait a few weeks and contact ofsted, she said that it was a silly rule, but one of many!!!

Hiya, he told me that If I did this I would have to wait "a considerable time" before the variation would be granted. Bureaucracy at its worst. Dont even get me started on all the child credit scams going on.......

Hiya again, just spotted this on the end of my reg cert

" It is an offence for the registered person not to comply with the conditions of registration without reasonable excuse " whose going to offer me the first eg of a "reasonable excuse " !!!!! ?

Edited by waveawand

It looks like the ages of the children are quite young but that could work in your favour by suggesting that the children are cohort.

Apologies about the unreadability of my entries at the moment - looks like the hols have mushed my brain.

Honey

Hiya Honey, what do u mean unreadability of your entries - they make perfect sense to me...?!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)