Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sk124 Understanding The Autism Spectrum

Ah - not come across it before

I don't suppose I would have done had it not been for our area SENCO. SHe visited prior to the lauch of this four year programme and 'invited' us to 'get on board' and be involved with the training on offer. We were happy to do so but interestingly it was kind of made clear that though it wasn't compulsory, if we chose not to participate it 'could' have an adverse result on our annual RAG report!!

I thought everyone had to do it!

We do not pay for any of the training though- well other than having to pay cover staff as all training is mornings.

I thought it was optional that was certainly how it was presented to us but with 'strong advice' that we agreed to do it. Like you we have costs of cover staff - all our traing is in the afternoon!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:o Yes mine did too xD What a lovely shiny new book to read :(

Website is also open with a 10 page appendix to go with the course book so that is churning out of my printer. Also printed the online resources and got a shiny new folder to file it in!

I have resisited loading the DVD but only because I had other admin stuff I had to do tonight but tomorrow I am going to have a play, dying to find out what the 'autism puzzle' is.

Feel like the proverbial child in a sweet shop and can't wait to get stuck in!

• 2 weeks later...
Have you seen the SK124 CHat and discussion forums - WOW they are busy! not sure I will be able to keep up with them all :o

Yes there's an awful lot on there - I think I'll just be skimming those!

I've not printed out the online stuff - do you think I should? Is it going to be necessary to have it to refer to, do you think?

How are you finding the reading so far?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cait

errrr let's just say I will be playing catchup this weekend!! I did have a go at the practice questions kind of to 'test what i knew already' and got 4 out of 5 or was it 4 out of 6. Unfortunately I have been totally taken over by 'dealing' with a child in our setting. After much banging my head on brick walls and getting doors closed in my face we finally managed an emergency TAC meeting which is a start but we still have a looooooonnnggggg way to go to really meet this child's needs .. and of course .. no funding to help :o

I have to admit I'm a bit behind too - everyone else on the chat seems to be racing ahead and making me feel very bad! Sorry to hear you're having problems - that's not good.

I am not paying much attention to the chat. I really don't like the new forum format, much prefer the good old first class :o

I have subscribed to all messages sent to my email address and to be honest I just delete most depending on the title of the thread!

To be honest I am a bit disppointed to hear that the assignments can be printed !! Not much of a true assessment if you can 'do' the questions and then go online to submit - surely everyone will be getting top marks - doesn't quite make sense to me!

If you get as far as understaning the concordance of autism in twins engima please do enlighten me as it is all a bit over my head at the moment but I have high hopes for the weekend proving to be a lightbulb moment!!

If you get as far as understaning the concordance of autism in twins engima please do enlighten me as it is all a bit over my head at the moment but I have high hopes for the weekend proving to be a lightbulb moment!!

Geraldine, I'm not doing this course mores the pity, currently studying E215 hence avoiding it on here. However, I did research autism for part of my recent exam and this is what I wrote about the genetic influence of twins - any help or just making the fog thicker?

'Evidence of genetic causes for autism can be found in Frith’s (1989) study of identical (MZ) and fraternal or non-identical (DZ) twins. Out of 11 children with autism who have an identical twin, 4 pairs had autism whereas none of the DZ twins with autism had a fraternal twin with autism – a concordance rate of 36 per cent'.

Thank you both for your replies. It's the percentages and working them out that is too much for my brain at the moment but then it's maths and maths and I don't get on! Add into the mix when discussing concordance rates you have left and right percentages ..... oh i need to lie down in a very dark room!! :o

Thank you both for your replies. It's the percentages and working them out that is too much for my brain at the moment but then it's maths and maths and I don't get on! Add into the mix when discussing concordance rates you have left and right percentages ..... oh i need to lie down in a very dark room!! :o

Left and right percentages! Never heard of it! Maths - yeuk! I need a lie down with a very dark glass of wine xD

Maybe I won't do this course next...

Edited by Deb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

well, that's all done and gone, course complete!!

I stupidly changed a couple of answers in part one that were partly correct and I should have stayed with my gut instinct!! sigh. Oh well.

How did you get on Gezabel - were there only the two of us on here doing it in the end?

well done Cait I am so envious!

I did part one a while back and part 2 was going to be started today.

Earlier in the week my sons apologised for their 'bad planning' that they wouldn't be around today for mothers day today and I got given lovely gifts and cards yesterday instead.

My sons then left as they were 'away for a stag weekend'.

This morning hubby suggested going to an antiques fair this afternoon (which I would normally love) but I said I wanted to do some serious TMA writing. Soo that's what I did this morning, dressed in any old thing and then the doobell rang about 11am - hubby was conveniently in the loo and I opened the door to find not one but all four sons standing there with a huge bouquet. There was no stag weekend! I am just back from the most delicious lunch in a local hotel still reeling from the shock and delight... as for the TMA... it's a work in progress and am very concious of the Thursday midday deadline.. oops!!!

How lovely!

Actually it's not as bad as it looks at first. I think all the panic on the site winds you up. once you actually sit down to it it'll fly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)