Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sk124 Understanding The Autism Spectrum

I'm considering doing this course, is anyone else registered or is there anyone out there who has done it and can give me some thoughts on it?

It's the assignments every 3 weeks I'm more worried about - that seems a lot of work

Yes I am registered for this one.

I am just doing it for interest/fun really. I showed the course description to my area SENCO and she was very impressed :o

TMA every three weeks does seem a bit much but it is a short course - think it finsihes in April doesn't it?

Go on Cait sign up you know you want to xD

Ooh I'd forgotten all about First Class! I'll go and see if it lets me in!

Can't find it anywhere - perhaps I'm not allowed in any more

Edited by Cait

It's the assignments every 3 weeks I'm more worried about - that seems a lot of work

I had a look at some student reviews and they were mostly favourable. It did say that the tma's were multiple choice questions which some people didn't like.

Good luck Cait and Geraldine......... and maybe even Sue! :o

Ok, I'll do it! :wacko: xD

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss!!:oxD :rolleyes: :(:(

One down and two to go ....

Sue ??..... you know you want to ;) you are an OU addict :(

HappyMaz?? .... you know you want to too - have you studied with OU before? If not then a whole new experience awaits :unsure:

HappyMaz?? .... you know you want to too - have you studied with OU before? If not then a whole new experience awaits :o

I've often said that OU is another country as far as I'm concerned - I just don't speak the language! I'm at the stage of looking for my next challenge, but not sure what to do. So I guess I am open to suggestion. xD

I am way behind all of you and looking for my first challenge.I am still a level 3 with many years experience. Is this a good one to start with?

Do you pay for your own courses or seek funding.

I pay for my own :o

If you can't obtain funding 'locally' then the OU have their own financial help. It is worth a wander around their financial support site - I think OU funding is automatically granted if you receive benefits (not sure though) but it also available to those on 'not great incomes!'. There are additions to the course cost that are also available. a non refundable bursary towards the cost of studying and usually some help towards buying a computer if needed.

I've often said that OU is another country as far as I'm concerned - I just don't speak the language! I'm at the stage of looking for my next challenge, but not sure what to do. So I guess I am open to suggestion. xD

AH! never mind the language - that was really in the E115/215 courses with loads of acronyms but don't think that will be the case with SK124.

So I think you need luck no further for your next challenge -- be an OU student and have a great journey along 'autistic spectrum disorders' :o

I am watching this space......... :(

So how much would a course like SK124 cost an unnamed person who wouldn't like to commit herself at this stage and is just asking hypothetically? :o

Oh tell the unnamed person that the cost is *only* £235 xD

Please also tell them that if you do not want to part with the full amount in one go the OU have their own budget account whereby it's no deposit and monthly direct debit

So (hypothetically speaking of course!)perhaps this will help your unnamed person in the decision making???? :(

Found a Doctorate! :o

SK124 looks as if it would give you a really sound understanding of autism spectrum, coming from every angle I could think of. I see that it is a Level 1 course - what does that mean?

Also, what does 'end of course assessment' mean? Is it a way of saying 'exam' without saying 'exam'?

Maz

Found a Doctorate! xD

SK124 looks as if it would give you a really sound understanding of autism spectrum, coming from every angle I could think of. I see that it is a Level 1 course - what does that mean?

Also, what does 'end of course assessment' mean? Is it a way of saying 'exam' without saying 'exam'?

Maz

the end of course assessment is either an exam or an essay and for SK124 there is NO exam :o

During the course you write Tutor marked assignments (TMAs) and then at the end you have an end of course assessment (ECA) just like a big TMA really no big deal!

Level 1 is the lowest level of course the OU offer and they can be worth 10, 15. 30 or 60 points it varies! From memory I think SK124 is 15 points. To me that means it's not 'heavy going' at all!!

I have just noticed that the TMAs are actually "ICMAs" interactive computer marked assignments and that's a new one on me. WHen I first started with the OU it was good old royal mail, post TMA to your tutor and they mark and send back. Some of my latter courses were submitted on line but that was fine just a bit like sending a word attachment.

I am getting excited now! anyone else jumping on the bandwagon?? I did read that you were signing up didn't I Maz??

Edited by Geraldine

I did read that you were signing up didn't I Maz??

You also read that I had found a Doctorate! :o

Thanks for that info Geraldine - I think I am learning rudimentary OU speak!

Maz

Hi

In case it is of any help in persuading Maz to join you all, I've chosen a question on autism as my 'seen question' for the exam for ED209 in October. I'm finding it really interesting (autism that is not ED209 - tough course but have learnt alot. Whether I can remember anything more than my name for the exam remains to be seen.)

Do you cover things like executive dysfunction, theory of mind deficit, weak central coherance? Really interesting stuff, I've really enjoyed it. I'd join you but I've got the small matter of E215 in October before I am hopefully in Sue's shoes this time next year having finished the Foundation Degree.

I think I'm sticking to my plans for rest!

Deb - hope you enjoy the 'small matter' of E215 - it's a good course, basically, with some interesting stuff - the Mosaic research is brilliant! - but it is let down these days by being badly out of date. I believe this presentation (October 2010) is the last one, so it shouldn't be a problem for many more ... Although what'll happen if the EYFS changes much, I don't know! :o

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)