Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handwashing

I think that wipes and hand sanitiser should be perfectly adequate in those circumstances. As for washing their hands every time they cough or sneeze - have these people ever worked in a pre-school?

If the staff were preparing food for the children I would expect them to be able to wash their hands with soap and water, especially of that food were to be stored for any length of time. Apart from that I think it smacks of desperation on behalf of the inspectors who needed to find something to criticise because the setting isn't conforming.

Maybe they should be asking why so many children in this day and age such poor immune systems. the amount of children with asthma, allergies excema the children of day have the worst immune systems for decades i would think.

We have kept them so clean their bodies can't cope with a few germs.

It is getting worse maybe they should be looking at that side of health instead of a brilliant place that allows children to play in the dirt and be children!!!!!

A Upsaiy Daisy said the inspectors have nothing else to do and couldn't find anything wrong!!!!1

I personally think that if the setting could justify that their practices were not causing ill health then surely their systems are fine!

I'm sorry but i've been to many a training session and watched the powers that be go to the buffet lunch and they didn't toddle off to wash hands before eating :oxD:(

Agree that preparing food should have hands washed in running water - bottled maybe.

how we survived our childhoods I don't know!!

Interestingly also there's another article (page 4, sorry can't link) about a Yorkshire nursery owner who was chastised by OFSTED for not alerting child protection agencies :( after a child fell (accidently) and cut their lip. The owner informed OFSTED as the child went to hosp.

They've backtracked and are now issuing guidance around 'reporting serious incidents and accidents

How much do we get paid for the stress of all this ambiguity? not enough!!

I read that too gingerbread, we had a child that cut his head on the fence and went to hospital, no stitches needed but I would not have thought I would have had to ring child protection. I rang Ofsted, riddor, and insurance to inform them. This child was previously on the at risk register so we did contact his social worker anyway but not due to any Ofsted guidance. It really is a minefield out there!

We often take the snack outside for the children as lots of them don't want to stop play and come in to drink or eat. We use antibac spray cleanser or baby wipes before they eat and have never questioned this would be unacceptable to Ofsted.

I am sure lots of families do this on picnics and I can't see the need to stop unless I am told otherwise and see it written down in black and white!

I come from Australia and water was often in limited supply, but we were taught how to wash our hands without wasting water. The availability of foamy soap which does not need water to lather means that only a little water is needed to rinse the resulting germy, earthy, soapy slurry away. A jug of water controlled by an adult, a bowl to catch each child's waste water with a bucket to store the bulk of the waste water, and some paper towels should be sufficient to provide a suitable system. I think a good job could be done with 2-300mls of water for each pair of hands.

Children rarely wash their hands effectively in my experience, and giving them the opportunity to make an efficient job of it at set times is important.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)