Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gestational Diabetes

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

My daughter in law has just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Just wondered if anyone knew anything about this. She is due to give birth sept 21st and had planned a home birth but this is now out of the question. She seems well in herself but this has really knocked her for six. It is her third pregnancy, totally unplanned and a big surprise as she was on the list for sterilisation. I would appreciate your input, thanks.

Mary

no experience I'm afraid - hopefully someone else will come along with good advice!

Just wanted to wish to all well - I'm sure things will be monitored well to avoid any problems. I believe it can lead to a bigger baby - so be prepared!

Best wishes.. :oxD

This happened to me 15 years ago and you know I never really followed up on what it meant.

All I know is that I was not allowed to go over due date so they tried to induce me on that day. My son wasn't playing ball so they tried again the next morning and told me if nothing had happened by lunch time it would have to be a c section - but that did the trick and he arrived at 11.50am.

Don't know why but they very concerned when my after birth was taking its time and threatened me with theatre, but again the threat was enough to do the trick.

But apart from being put on a strict timetable nothing happened that was any different to my previous two pregnancies other than having a couple of glucose tollerance blood tests.

Fingers crossed all goes well and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to tell you the full medical explanation.

BMG

Thinking back to when I did a child development qualification which included a lot about pregnancy, I'm sure this isn't an overly serious condition (although obviously still a concern to you all!) Usually it's treated with exercise and changing your diet during pregnancy, and I remember there was something about not eating too much carbohydrate for breakfast! As someone said it can lead to the baby being bigger, and afterwards there is supposedly a higher risk of childhood obesity which you have to look out for, although I'm not sure how that would happen if they had a healthy diet anyway.

If you aren't sensible during pregnancy when you have it there is a risk of it becoming permanent diabetes, but I’m sure your daughter-in-law will be fine. :o They do like to keep a closer eye on you during the birth though so hospital is the best place to be for it. I hope all goes well for her and the baby!

Edited by Guest

I've had to have several test for Gestational Diabetes, because I had a high risk of developing it, whilst I've been lucky and don't have it, I do know that its common for babies to be induced early as they are likely to develop larger. Apart from that most people seem to be able to control it through diet, although some need to take insulin and its also more than likely to disappear completely after the birth. If she wants to find people with similar problems I can recommend the forums for 'Bounty' and 'Gurgle' (they're always a good source of support and advice for me).

I also had it during my second pregnancy - had to reduce carbohydrates - one slice of bread a day - and sugar. Very hard as I have a serious chocolate habit! Son was induced 2 weeks early as he might be 'big and floppy'- that seriously messed up plans to have my Mum to look after my daughter as she was abroad- but everything was fine and first thing I ate after delivery was a chocolate biscuit!

He is a very fit 28 year old of 6'4" but was small for his age until he grew 6 inches at age 16.

Best wishes to your daughter-in-law.

korkycat

My experience is much the same as BMG. I was diagnosed just 2 months before my due date which didn't give me much time to do anything about it. I had to have those glucose intolerance tests but nothing else. I do remember being told not to worry.........serious but not life-threathening to mother or baby.

My daughter was induced two weeks early, mainly because I burst into tears in front of the consultant and begged him to take her out early. I was enormous and extremely worn out. My daughter weighed in at 10 lbs 7 ozs.

My glucose levels returned to normal after the birth and I haven't had any problems since (could lose lots of weight of course!!)

I would imagine that a home birth may be discouraged because of the size the baby may be and the complications this may bring.........don't quote me on this though.

Good luck and best wishes to the family for an uneventful birth and........hope to see some pictures of your pride and joy soon.

Guest MaryEMac

Hope you are ok Lucy. My daughter in law is fine, now she has seen diabetic nurse and sorted things out in her mind. Bless her she has had raging toothache as well this week which they can't do much about until she has had the babe. Will update when baby arrives. Yake care Lucy.

Mary

She can start expressing colustrum now - this will help to stabilise the baby's blood sugars much better than formula, which the hospitals seem deperate to give as they can measure it much better than breastfeeding.

Also, often with gestational diabiets, the babies are big - this can mean they lose quite a bit of weight, and never get back to their birth centile. As long as all other signs indicate the baby is gettign enough milk (enough wet and dirty nappies, fontelle not dipped, eyes bright, nails OK) then the baby doesn't need to be topped up with formula, and no one needs to get in a flap about the baby being small!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MaryEMac

Just thought that I would let you all know that baby Jasmine arrived last night weighing in at 8lbs 12 oz. Mum and baby are both well and are now home. I haven't been able to stop smiling since my son rang last night. Will post piccies when I get some.

Mary