Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Mosaic Approach

JacquieL

What an interesting and well written article Sue R.

Discussing the value of participant observation really brought home to me how important and valuable that is, both for the practitioner to truly observe how the child is developing, and to involve the practitioner directly in the child's learning and next steps. I also think your use of this approach is a good way of having a structured, but non-threatening, way of interacting with parents and the parents feeling valued. I think this article will really support many of us in our roles. Well done and thank you.

Wow Sue! What a great article - I especially liked the insights you have gained into what is really going on for children in your setting rather than relying on your own conclusions about what you thought you were seeing! How powerful for these children to have their voices heard, and for their points of view to be taken on board and acted upon!

It has really inspired me to do something like this in my setting - especially now when we have so few children and in theory should have more time to spend. So what I need now is the idiot's guide of how you actually did it. How did you explain it all to the children, what questions did you ask or what statements did you make as a provocation initially?

I also think it might make some very good material for an EYPS written task for certain people...

Thanks for giving me something else to think about!

Maz

I thoroughly enjoyed researching the Mosaic Approach for my FDEY. I found it really useful and we make sure we still use many elements of it in our daily practice, particularly letting children take us on tours, either physically or by the use of their photographs

• 2 weeks later...

Am I being really daft here, but what article by Sue R. are you referring to?

I have been looking at making changes to the way we do learning journeys ad making better use of photographs - possibly by making a chronological book of annotated photos (with quotations) showing the child's development. My EYP tutor recommended me reading about the Mosaic Approach which has led me to this discussion...

Hope I find some more useful information, as I seem to on here :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)