Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wicker Baskets

Hi all, hoping you can help me here- for my eyp baby placement they have asked if I can help set up a quiet area in the baby room, somewhere the group (adults and babies) can also join together for simple circle times- singing, quick story etc

I have shown them my CFS packaway book as thought there would be some useful, cost-effective ideas that we can try out and am going to attempt some sort of canopy/den tomorrow but they like the look of the big 'dog baskets' that also feature at Penn Green having seen piccies of the toddler room there. Have done a quick search online on the likes of amazon and ebay but they seem a bit pricey (£30/40+ for large wicker baskets with padding in) so wondering if anyone has purchased anything similar and what sort of prices you had to pay???

Sorry i cant help with the question...but do we really want to encourage babies to lay/sit in dog baskets?

I have seen pictures of this before and i love being creative and coming up with new ideas but just dont see the vision with this one.......do we want babies to lay in their dog baskets at home? would parents like the idea of their baby laying in a basket meant for dogs???

Sorry to be difficult but if anyone already has this in place at their setting, i would love to hear what sort of a reaction it got?xx

I have to agree with Bubbles here..........only a month or s ago [after yet another child/dog incident] there was a discussion on the radio and spokes people from both the RSPCA and a dog rescue centre saying that this new trend is seriously not a good idea.

I agree,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was also giving thought to placing a big wicker basket in my book corner, until I read ( sorry, can't recall where) that if you have a territorial dog at home, it could attack a child who tries to 'take over' their basket. so, no basket for us.

Sorry not to be more helpful but I am also in the 'no dog basket' camp. This is an extract from Nursery World (July 15th issue)

IT'S A DOG'S LIFE

It has been brought to our attention that Nursery World has featured nurseries that use dog baskets for children to sleep in. We are carrying out research into dog-bite prevention, and one of the typical instances where a child is bitten is when they approach or occupy a dog's sleeping place.

We recognise that the nurseries in question have no dogs on site, but we think using dog baskets conveys the dangerous message that it is OK to sleep in a dog's bed. This heightens the likelihood of a child crawling into a dog basket in someone's home and being bitten.

We hope the nurseries concerned will change the dog baskets for more appropriate child ones. Please look at www.thebluedog.org for more information.

Kerstin Meints and Tiny de Keuster, University of Lincoln

This was exactly what i was thinking.....no way can we encourage this, we need to be good role models to children and teach them a realistic way of life, we dont sleep in baskets!!!

No to dog baskets!! ha ha x

Im going to be devil's advocate here for a second, just to provide an alternative point of view.

1. Apart from obvious size, what is the real difference between these baby nest(baskets or whatever they are called) and a moses basket? haven't we all heard stories of the cat who sleeps in the moses basket and suffocates a child? have we banned them as a result?

2. is there any actual evidence that dogs attacking children as they approach their bed space has actually risen as a direct result of these baskets in nurseries? This was happening way before these baskets were in place in nurseries, and of course many dogs also sleep on their owners beds!

3. Isn't it parents responsibility to supervise their children and even more so when there is a dog? Personally I don't like dogs, but I would never never leave a dog and a small child alone together, no matter how soft and soppy I thought the dog was. It reminds me of the recent story about the child who choked on a grape, did we all go out and ban grapes..no, we take sensible precautions (supervision being the most obvious one).

Its good these things are brought to our attention, and its good to debate and consider our position, before (and after) purchasing any equipment. Do any of our members have one of these nests and what are your views, having used one?

:o

Im going to be devil's advocate here for a second, just to provide an alternative point of view.

1. Apart from obvious size, what is the real difference between these baby nest(baskets or whatever they are called) and a moses basket? haven't we all heard stories of the cat who sleeps in the moses basket and suffocates a child? have we banned them as a result?

2. is there any actual evidence that dogs attacking children as they approach their bed space has actually risen as a direct result of these baskets in nurseries? This was happening way before these baskets were in place in nurseries, and of course many dogs also sleep on their owners beds!

3. Isn't it parents responsibility to supervise their children and even more so when there is a dog? Personally I don't like dogs, but I would never never leave a dog and a small child alone together, no matter how soft and soppy I thought the dog was. It reminds me of the recent story about the child who choked on a grape, did we all go out and ban grapes..no, we take sensible precautions (supervision being the most obvious one).

Its good these things are brought to our attention, and its good to debate and consider our position, before (and after) purchasing any equipment. Do any of our members have one of these nests and what are your views, having used one?

I have to agree with you!!

Surely it's only a dog basket if a dog sleeps in it? xD

Obviously supervision at home is the key but i think we have a responsibility to teach the children right from wrong and sleeping in dog baskets is not what happens in real life!!

Moses baskets are meant for sleeping in and grapes are meant to be eaten, dog baskets are meant to be slept in by dogs not babies!

I would never forgive myself if a baby in my care was hurt by a dog, because they crawled into a dog basket because they do it at nursery!

I love dogs and had the most calm, good natured dog ever but still would not agree with a baby sleeping in his bed.

I agree with the article that it conveys a "dangerous message" after all a dog may not be sleeping in it but it might look exactly the same as the dogs one at home!!

Edited by Guest

Good points raised Mundia-

BUT-

I still cut grapes in half at work, but wouldn't necessarily at home.

With so many other interesting alternative available I wouldn't but dog basket looking baskets for children to play in at work, but I do have a dog that believes he should sleep in a bed at home- and some very old photos of dauther sitting in dog basket!!!

Interesting points about cats though........ I remember putting a cat net on my pram when I left my daughter out in the garden to sleep many years ago, but I don't think this is normal practice now? This worries me a little. We took in a stray cat this winter and one night I awoke to find the cat 'wrapped' around my head just like a 'Davy Croket' hat!!!.

Hi all, hoping you can help me here- for my eyp baby placement they have asked if I can help set up a quiet area in the baby room, somewhere the group (adults and babies) can also join together for simple circle times- singing, quick story etc

I have shown them my CFS packaway book as thought there would be some useful, cost-effective ideas that we can try out and am going to attempt some sort of canopy/den tomorrow but they like the look of the big 'dog baskets' that also feature at Penn Green having seen piccies of the toddler room there. Have done a quick search online on the likes of amazon and ebay but they seem a bit pricey (£30/40+ for large wicker baskets with padding in) so wondering if anyone has purchased anything similar and what sort of prices you had to pay???

Hi carboot sales are really good this time of yr. I've seen a few dog baskets. Are there any markets where you are. Perhaps they'll be cheaper. I recently visited a setting that had a blownup rubber dingy boat that the children were sharing stories in. Whats your CFS by the way. Sorry it sounds interesting and if it's a book I'd quite like to have a read.

ooh a bit controversial then!

I can see where some are coming from with regards to children not seeing the potential danger but I agree with Mundia in that parents and us are responsible for supervising their child and they along with us would ensure that children understand that the basket they are lying in may be similar to a dogs but teaching them that it is unsafe for them to get into a dogs bed/basket...as for babies then I would likewise never leave a baby and dog together nor allow a baby to get too close to such a terratorial place.

I do have a similar experience in that my sister was bitten by a dog for getting too close to them in their bed but this will not deter me from using wicker baskets for the same reason that we do not ban grapes etc-we just need to be savvy about children's perceptions.

It is not an issue I was aware of and will certainly make the staff aware of this but will leave it to their professional judgement to decide...we have actually used a canopy today and will try a wigwam tomorrow.

I think that the baskets will provide a wonderful natural dimension to the setting whilst also providing the comfort (and security for younger babies) and small cosy space for quiet time. I know of other settings using them and the children absolutely love them.

Thank you for all your replies, hope you don't think I am being ignorant by not taking your advice but I do appreciate you raising the issue for us all

Oh and I do not have a CFS space set up at my setting, it is something I am working on but I have got the purple 'Packaway setting' book by Elizabeth Jarman- if you google her (or communication freindly spaces) you can get to her website and her books can be found under Products and Publications...alternatively I got mine off Amazon for slightly cheaper!

Thank you for all your replies, hope you don't think I am being ignorant by not taking your advice but I do appreciate you raising the issue for us all

Please don't ever think that Extraordinarychicken, one of the best bits about being here is that we can have several points of view, reflect on them, and then make our own decisions, whilst still having respect for the opinions of others.

Its good that you asked the question, and have had opportunity to think about what you want to do for the children in your setting. Better that way than to just blindly go ahead and do something. And in raising your question, you have brought about a debate, which will enlighten others and result in others reflecting on their practice also. That can only be a good thing!

Please don't ever think that Extraordinarychicken, one of the best bits about being here is that we can have several points of view, reflect on them, and then make our own decisions, whilst still having respect for the opinions of others.

Its good that you asked the question, and have had opportunity to think about what you want to do for the children in your setting. Better that way than to just blindly go ahead and do something. And in raising your question, you have brought about a debate, which will enlighten others and result in others reflecting on their practice also. That can only be a good thing!

Here, here Mundia!!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)