Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Been To Africa Volunteering In Schools Very Emotional!

Hello,

I have just returned from a two week volunteer programme in South Africa.This has been something I have wanted to do but was highly emotional.I worked in a township school in a very poor area.Lot of children lived in shacks in township living on less than 20 rand a day about £2 .Many children had Hiv lost parents seen shootings living with abuse .Schools a lot further behind than uk ie still using corporal punishment one teacher to about 50 children.It amazed me how children had nothing but were so happy with so much more to give.I gave them gifts on last day chocolate tennis rackets pens paper etc and it was like they had won the lottery.I gave one child who i really got attached to and had been through so much 20 rand and it was amzing to see the excitement in her face was a very amazing yet sad emotional experience wish i could change the world but i can't makes me want do work with disadvantaged children any one know how you get into this i know it is an unusual post!

Wow!

How do you think this experience will affect your practice now that you've returned?

Maz

...and how did you go about volunteering?

Well done you! having been to Africa myself i know how much impact your volunteering will have had to those children. I actually went on a holiday and found the people of Kenya to be the happiest most grateful people i have ever met. We also we went to the village schools, to a Sambura village and i was blown away and still am by their hospitality with so very little of their own. Have you searched the net, as they are often recruiting for workers abroad, or was you thinking of more close to home. :o

Hi eclmmcca. I did VSO for 6 years, and shared many of the experiences you describe. When I reflect back it made some significant changes to the way I view the world and to my practice. I carry with me some of the fondest memories of my life even though Ive been returned now for many years.

When you say you want to work with disadvantaged chidlren, do you mean here or overseas?

was one best experiences of my life.was back in work today and couldn't stop thinking of these children got attached to them pretty quik.amazed me how little they had but had so much love and hapiness to give they appreciated every little thing and wanted so much love and someone with an interest in their lives.

Heartbreaking what they go through but it is normality for them.Broke my heart leaving them i want do it again for longer a few months would mean leaving my job probably but these children are so special i just cant explain it i was only there 2 weeks but had such an experince and aimed to make a difference.I want work with children like this don't know how i going to make it happen will probaby have volunteer at home to get experience but i want to do it hopefully i can make it happen still very emotional over it i would recomend anyone to try it really is an eye opener!

i love my job with children i love going to work knowing there children there happy to see us and making a difference in their lives but these children overseas are something else suffer abuse at home then at school family dying siblings i want to get more involved in it probably will vlunteer again soon and try find something more permanent well wish anyway

Well done you for giving of your time your passion and love i know the feeling your describing, its a powerful thing and you never know you may find there is a way to do this for longer next time. Would your work beable to give you some kind of sabbatical? Looks like Mundia did it perhaps she would be the one to ask. :o

amazed me how little they had but had so much love and hapiness to give

this is the one thing that strikes me when you see those images on the TV - to have so little and have been through so much but they still have joy in their hearts and smiles on their faces. In this way I think they are 'richer' and we can learn so much from them :)

I travelled to Gambia to work alongside nursery teachers and in schools at Easter, a real culture shock for me at the conditions people live in, no running water, no electric, no nothing toilet paper was hoarded like golddust :o , we made mud bricks to build a new school and helped develop the curriculum regarding learning through play, however I feel honoured to have been a part of it and the people were amazing, I am so looking forward to going back (if my hubby will let me, he has to take up the slack at home, and hopefully no volcano to keep us out there for an extra week!)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wanted to go and volunteer in South Africa. I visited a township when on holiday last year and would love to learn more. How did you get into it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)