Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Vacancy Help

Hi, We may be in need of a new member of staff for September and I just wondered what you've found to be the most effective way of finding the right person for your setting? For example, where do you advertise and how quickly do you fill vacancies?

cheers for any comments

suebear

We advertise locallyin shops etc. job centre website, LEA childcare recruitment and hardly ever get anyone!!

Currently advertsing for deputy and qulaified playworkers..nothing! Advertised 3 months ago for manager..nothing...desperate times with committee ie me covering....not a happy bunny!!

I have advertised in the local press (v. expensive), and on the Family Information Service which has a vacancy service. Our problem has been getting level 3 qualified practitioners - none applied for any of the last two vacancies I had. So had to recruit unqualified and inexperienced people and support them whilst they undertook the training.

Maz

I am using Children & Families Information Service to advertise for level 3 with baby experience. What I am getting in response are those with ECS degrees wanting nursery experience but have had nannying experience, or completing FD's.

So far the applications/CV's have been good and the only one I have interviewed so far was excellent, would have given her the job straight away but i want to be sensible and interview some of the others too!

So any takers on here then, we are based in South East Kent - its initially for maternity cover, but likely to be permanant as we have a grant to make our baby room bigger due to increased demand. We are on the up!!!

BMG

Are there any Mums who are keen on a career in childcare? The last two vacancies I've had have been filled that way - the most recent was an NNEB qualified childminder who'd had enough of the demands on her own home.

Thank you all, lots of food for thought.

Will talk to our chair and see what we can offer in terms of hours etc. and then shall hopefully get the ball rolling. They have only advertised for the leader position before, employing friends of friends to make up numbers. Times are changing (maybe!!). I don't mind friends of friends so long as they are enthusiastic, child based, know what they are doing and ideally have or are getting qualified in some shape or form, not too much to ask is it??

Depending on what level qualification you need, how about advertising at your local college - when i needed a level 2 they put it on the notice board next to class room where the level 3 students were.

That is how I got my job. I think my boss was pleased... :o

Maz