Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Evenings!

We currently hold two parents evenings a year, but struggle to fit these in, get the reports done on 40 children all for one night and also to get some parents to attend ( the ones that moan that they dont have enough time to see their childs key person) anyway....

We sent out parents questionaires last month and the only issue that seemed to be mentioned by a couple of the parents was the communication issue. This got me thinking and i came up with this idea -

To hold one end of year parents evening for all parents, with a summative report given out and time to sit formally with the key person and go through the childrens folders etc etc......then throughout the year hold small open evenings ( maybe two per key person) and pay each key person to stay behind one evening 4.00pm - 6.30pm so that parents can casually drop in, discuss any issues or just spend time with the member of staff looking through the childrens folders!!

What do you think? or do you have any better ideas??xxxx

Edited by Guest

Sounds ok to me if you have staff able to stay late.

We have 'Stay and Chat' where parents arrange to stay when they drop their child off and chat to the Key Person. They start by looking through their child's special file with them in the quiet area whilst the other children arrive and their parents leave.

Then the child goes off to play and Parent and Key person go through to the kitchen and have a cuppa whilst chatting about the child. It needs to be booked in advance really, just in case we need staff cover for the 20 mins or so. If it's spur of the moment they stay in the quiet area and so the Key Person is still in the room. The parent is made aware that they may not have her 100% attention if this is the case.

It works well for us .....

The trouble is most of our parents need to rush off in the mornings and dont really have the time to stay and chat (unfortunatly), we have made it aware so many times that we are all avaliable to discuss things on a daily basis with them and they can approach us all at any time, but they seem to want more of a formal opportunity to do this!!x It would be ok with the staff as they are aware they have to stay late for parents evenings, so it shouldnt be a problem...famous last words ay!!

I remember one of our EYP colleagues talking about a change she had implemented in her setting so that instead of parents' evenings happening towards the end of the year she held them at the beginning so that discussions with parents could be taken into account in planning for the children's needs. She said it had worked really well, and that parents felt more included and understood what the setting's aim was in terms of planning learning activities/experiences for their children.

Maz

We tend to have parent afternoons after the session, these happen twice a year and we split the staff so two would one day and two on another. The parents put their name down next to the time they would like to come in, but there is the option to rearrange provided it is convienient for everyone. I have one parent who likes her husband to also be present so I end up visiting them one evening at their home!!

Kris