Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scrapping Surestart?

with the risk of offending other people in the forum.... I do agree with the viewpoints expressed by the think tank. and is quite similar to the sentiments expressed in another discussion within the forum.

sorry guys- we shuld not be about providing a service that's used mainly by the middle classes AND there should be more checks and balances with our work-

leo

sorry guys- we shuld not be about providing a service that's used mainly by the middle classes AND there should be more checks and balances with our work-

Well I agree with the need for checks and balances, however I can't agree that SureStart are only supporting families from the middle classes. That's certainly not my experience, and being middle class doesn't insulate families from needing the kind of support that we offer.

There may well be an argument for looking at the services on offer, and how they're targeted. However when I see the work going on and how we support the families we work with, I think SureStart is worth fighting for.

Maz

In the area of the North West where I live Surestart is definitely not just supporting families from the middle classes, quite the opposite in fact. There will always be 'hard to reach' families, and in a centre like the one I am involved with personally there is broad mix both from different 'classes' and ethnicity. We also have some children with disabilities and they can come from any 'class'. I feel that a mix can only be a good thing as children learn from each other. Getting to the 'hard to reach' is something built into our targets for improvement.

This provides some interesting reading and was published in March.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...h/130/13002.htm

If we're going to "narrow the gap between the rich and the poor" perhaps we have to start with letting people mix together?????

Or do we need to keep the poor in isolation until they are deemed suitable enough to mix with the rich?

Children's centres can break down those social stigmas and stereotypes BECAUSE people of all social classes and income can do something in common. Isn't that community cohesion????

Cx

I agree catma. And can't we all learn from others too, middle class or otherwise? I know I personally have picked up tips from people with radically different backgrounds to myself on the subject of bringing up children.

Not directly linked but I'm just catching up on emails (445 unread - sigh!)

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/bulletins/Daily-Bu...C-DailyBulletin

"A leaked email to CYP Now has revealed that government funding already allocated for Sure Start children's centres could be reduced after the emergency Budget this month."

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/news/ByDiscipline/...care-provision/

"Children's centres in deprived areas begin to relinquish childcare provision"

Edited by Marion

As per usual the people providing the services with the link with the "hard to reach" are not being asked! Sure start do a great job in theory... but in a lot of areas its the people who know about it and will put their hand out for anything and everything that are accessing the funds all the time. Also when they roll out training and other get togethers they waste money on fancy spreads etc, not to mention all the money and fancy stuff they splashed out on with the new children's centres. Does that mean they provide a better service than us? quality isnt on the outside! Maybe instead of scrapping to save, our new government needs to do a much needed audit (similar to one of the ones we are asked to carry out!). PVI settings are always scrimping and saving to get where we are, why arent they doing the same when government funds are limited and not reaching as many children as they should?

sorry to rant, but i dont think class has anything to do with it, its all about who you know and how cheeky you are... some people need more support but feel they have had help and dont want to ask for more... others dont believe in taking hand outs, .. but i know people spending £150 on a pair of boots, popping children out left right and centre with little regard to their own financial state, and putting their hand out and getting more and more, and repeatedly accessing services stopping others using them. wheres the balance in any of it?