Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff An Their Long Nails!

Hi everyone,

Hopefully you can help me on this one.

What would you do if you have a new member of staff on your team with very long nails who is refusing to cut them???

many thanks

xx

Was she made aware of your policy regarding length of finger nails before she was employed, presumably she had them at interview ? It makes it a little more difficult if staff 'dress and appearance' are not made clear within a policy. You will need to discuss and try to explain your point of view which I presume is regarding possible scratching to young children, and as Susan says, of course listen to her point of view.

Just how long are her nails? I also have reasonably long nails, but have never scratched a child (in fact people with long nails generally are very very careful as they don't want to break them and hence are very aware of their nails and what they do with them). I also keep my nails scrupulously clean.

I feel that each case has to be considered on individual merit. If you assess the nails asa risk, then you must look at ways of minimising that risk. However, if it is just personal preference or more related to professional appearance then it will be a matter of looking at your conduct policy.

There's also the possibility that after she's changed a few nappies, scrubbed a few painty easels, wiped some gross noses and tidied up the lego, home corner, done some digging in the garden etc etc that she may decide for herself.

Ha Ha Ha, I like your reply Cait!!!!

I am just really concerned that she is going to scratch a child, I have to wear mine short because I play netball! So it then seems daft!!

We didn't notice them at interview so that is a very difficult thing too. I mentioned it and she was not impressed with me at all!!!! Ooops There was no reason at all, she just refused to cut them.

I guess here comes another risk assessment!!

Thank you ever so much for your comments.

x

Edited by Guest

There's also the possibility that after she's changed a few nappies, scrubbed a few painty easels, wiped some gross noses and tidied up the lego, home corner, done some digging in the garden etc etc that she may decide for herself.

Ha,Ha there's always the possibility that that after she's done all this for a little while she wont have any long nails left!!

Seriously though, my nails are fairly long (much longer at the start of the term then the end!) and I dont think I have ever scratched a child. As someone else has already said, people with long nails tend to be a bit more fearful of breaking them anyway. If I had just started at a new job I dont think I would be very impressed with being asked to cut my nails, esp if no mention of this had been made prior to me starting.