Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Education And Children's Bill

What do you think about this?

A reading test will also be introduced for six-year-olds to: ‘make sure that young children are learning and to identify problems early.’
Edited by SmileyPR

Most schools screen Yr 1 children at some point anyway so there's nothing new there - what's different is that it will be required by law so the govt can dictate what kind of assessment it would be. That's what I would have a problem with.

Aahh - they really have their finger on the button don't they?

This 'initiative' just shows how many of them send their own children to private schools where this sort of thing is the norm - to check whether the fees are 'worth it!'

My main worry is the initiative whereby outstanding schools will now be exempt from both curriculum reforms AND Ofsted inspections - those schools in poorer areas, be afraid, be very afraid - the wrath of Oftsted will be mightily focussed!

That means me!

Jenni

Sounds like to many men in suits that don't spend enough time with their children to find out how their day went and not knowing what our school system does. Makes you wonder what they think they are paying people to do, as it has never crossed a teachers mind to observe the child in their classes to find out if they are reaching their targets!!!! Just another "initiative" to justify some one's wages.

But realistically, have you ever worked in a school where children were not assessed for their reading at some point in Yr1/KS1 - ALS, standardised reading tests, Reading recovery screening, running records,......they are all used.

Every guided reading session has some element of assessment built into it.

It's how it will be done that is my concern, but I don't really see this as something new. I think it would be unusual for a school not to assess reading in fact. To really analyse a child's reading (both the comprehension and decoding elements of the simple view) to identify the strategies they are using/not using you do need to listen to them reading and engage in a dialogue. And from a govt who wanted to do away with central micro management this does seem a bit ironic!

Cx

I agree with you... it is not the aspect that we have been assessing their reading, but how the government might use this. I would be afraid that many children could be put into early pressure when it might not be their moment. There are so many countries where learning to read does not start until children are 7 and they catch up with those you started earlier, even achieving higher.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)