Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting School

Hi

Was wondering what everyone else does in September.

Do all your reception children start on the same day or is there a staggered start?

Do they do a full day straight away?

How long is it before they are all in full time?

Thanks for any replies

Elle

We stagger the entry - youngest 10 first (I think its a Thursday this year) then middle 10 (Following Tuesday) and lastly oldest 10 (Thursday), so that they are all by the end of the 1st full week. They have the option of full or part time but invariably they are all full time from day 1. Hope that helps

In our feeder school, they all start on the same day, but the oldest of the new intake go in part time for the fist two weeks, the spring born children go in mornings only until christmas, and the summer borns go in mornings only until the end of the spring term.

Narnia - we have had issues about this where I live - once the children start, they must all be full time by the end of 3 weeks. One of our feeder schools keeps back the starting of spring and summer children until January, another of our feeder schools takes them regardless of birthday in September, and the other is most complicated of all. Autumn borns go in from September and then spring and summer borns may start after the 3rd week of Autumn term according to parental wishes, so if parents want to keep them back until Feb. half term they can! This is all because of the 3 week rule in our county, that children must be fulltime after 3 weeks, although I had assumed at one point that this was a national "rule", - obviously not.

The third school's take on this is difficult for pre-schools to manage their numbers - I have one family wanting to come back for just 3 weeks in September but if more than that wanted to, that would throw my intake into disarray and I would have to start telling the families no they cannot come back, which would mean the children being home for 9/10 weeks including the summer holidays it's just crazy.

Edited by Panders

Our school had two groups of 15. one group does am one week, pm following week, am next week, then pm next week. They also incorportate lunch in the last few weeks. Everyone is then full time in fourth week.

School like this so they get to know children better in small groups and children get use to am/pm routine.

buttercup.

This year our main feeder school is having half the class for mornings only, the other half afternoons for one week, then they are swapping. All will be in at the start of week 3. Previously they have all started together. As a mummy to one of these new starters I am very pleased he is doing half days to start with, as I know the Teacher and TA will get to know him and him them better to start with. (and of course it breaks me in gently!)

Of course it is not pleasing the parents who's children have been at nursey full time as they work.

Our main feeder school - works as follows

Oldest group - Sept. - Dec. birthdays - full time from the off

Jan. - March birthdays - Monday, Wednesday, Friday - all day

April - August birthdays - Tuesday all day, Wednesday morning only, Thursday all day

They aim to have most of the children full time by half-term.........parents are actively encouraged to request part-time places if they feel that their child is not ready for this.........however, experience shows that most parents long for them to go full-time!

All our children start full time on the first day of term but are flexible toward individual needs. We did staggered entry in the past but since becoming a FSU a few years ago find we don't have transition issues and most children cope well with full days (many cope with before and after school care on top).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)