Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scarlet Fever

Hi,

A child in our Pre-school has this and Ofsted have told us to take advice from the local hospital who say we have to close for 2 days and disinfect everything. This is the second time we have had to do this in the last 6 months-same child!

To me, this seems a bit extreme because the child was at Preschool for 2 days spreading her germs and touching everything so the damage has probably already been done. Parents are not happy about a two day closure and some think they should be given a refund but we will still need to pay the staff for the 2 days whilst they disinfect.

Any advice?

I don't think parents can reasonably expect a refund: you have had to close on the instruction of Ofsted, and to protect their children. They would be sure to moan long and loud if you didn't close and their children contracted it.and of course, staff have to be paid for their time.

try contacting the HPA this is their advice

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

so would seem to be much less extreme and this was who we were told to contact....could also try environmental PA as an alternative then TELL ofsted what you have done ...we have never used our local hospitalfor advice and we've had a few odd things over the years!!

neither did I, contracting Scarlet fever twice in 6 months sounds to me like a good case for not bothering to close etc, if you can get it again within 6 mths then I cant see there is much you can do to protect. I also thought it was the HPA we had to contact and abide by in cases like this I'm really surprised that Ofsted said to contact local hospital. A few (maybe 5?) years ago someone in my sons class at school contracted SF & the school carried on as normal No I wouldn't offer refunds, it's completely out of your hands.

We had two nursery cases of SF earlier this year. I rang the local HPU who DID NOT advise us to close, rang Ofsted and our LEA. We were told that any more confirmed cases might change the advice given.

Please ring your local Health Protection Unit (you should have the number at the bottom of your Infectious deiseases and exclusion poster,) but if not, google HPA and follow links to contact your local HPU.

Our HPU just issued infor for parents and asked to be updated of any fresh cases.

Ofsted said follow the lead of the HPU contact the insurance company and keep Ofsted informed

LEA said follow the advice of Ofsted, and summarise all telephone calls related to the outbreak in the incident book.

Luckily for us although 2 more children were suspected, both tested negative and that was the end of it for us.

best of luck!!

Edited by eyfs1966

We too have recently had a case of SF about 2 weeks ago. We contacted HPU who advised us not to alarm parents - so no need to put poster up, just to be vigilant for any other poorly children. We followed HPU advice for exclusion period and we also notified Ofsted. Ofsted were fine about out procedure and just asked that we put it in writing to them - which is what we were doing anyway. No closure and no other cases.