Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay Rises/review

Hi all,

We are a committee run pre-school and the committee is in the process of reviewing our pay. What is the general feeling regarding what percentages should be given? I realise that all settings are different but just wanted to get a feel of what everyone's opinions are.

Thank you

Scottiedog

In our setting we have a pay hierarchy and the actual amounts are determined by the minimum wage and what we can afford. Staff get extra for qualifications and sometimes time served, but we don't work off percentages for raises.

ours was based on the minimum wage increase... we worked out the percentage it rose by and if we could afford it paid that... but this was not always possible , so we gave as close to this we could...

the feeling was that if we didn't the minimum wage would eventually catch up with us!

we gave a percentage as by giving a set amount to each person it eroded the difference between the pay levels for manager deputy etc...

Inge

We are a bit like Inge, depends on minimum wage increase.

However, this year is an exception

As we are all going to have to work an extra 1/2 hour each day which we will be paid for, we aren't having a pay rise (except those on min wage) as we wouldn't be able to afford it - having the extra 1/2 hour will make the pay packet larger :o

I think we all pay what we can afford, or increase what we can afford. As part of the SFF our LA is giving all PVI'S an 'administration' payment within our funding so for the first time myself & my deputy are being paid for some of our 'admin 'work. It's not much but enough to give me 2 sessions & her 1 per month.

Same as most others - I pay a bit above the NMW for unqualified no experience but then have increments depending on qualifications, responsibilities and lenght of service and experience. Last year no one had a rise as we had a 5p/2.5 hour pay increase for EEF so couldn't afford it. This year am giving a bigger rise than usual as can afford to do so with a better SFF rate.

My setting has not increased the pay for staff for the last two years! :o Staffing costs are the biggest expenditure in the budget but surely staff are the most valuable resource? Doesn't particularly feel that way when I consider the wage I am on, the only reason I had a payrise was through promotion, not that I feel it reflects what I actually do... but when does it ever in EY.

At my other job for large pharmacy chain, pay is in line with NMW for unqualified staff and then hierarchy of job role/qualifications is in line with inflation- it goes up every year, not by much-only pennies per hour for me, but at least it goes up

Edit: gosh I sound thoroughly miserable! I might add I love my job and where I am but the compromise has definately been the pay but job satisfaction or money? My bf would say money (being a trainee accountant) yet is thoroughly miserable in his job so I do feel thankful that I am working where I am, just frustrated with the hours and pay that I cannot do anything about. Don't mean to sound so negative sorry, not very constructive is it!

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

Don't mean to sound so negative sorry, not very constructive is it!

You have to say it as it is, ExtraordinaryChicken!

I am fortunate that I have managed to give payrises every year since I took over the nursery, but this year I won't be able to do this. It saddens me because I 100% agree that staff are the best resource a setting has. However there is just not enough money in the pot and I would rather have sustainable jobs than increase salaries but put the group under further strain.

I have budgeted for the necessary rises because two of my staff have recently qualified and they weren't expecting a payrise for this so that is at least some small consolation. One day I might even be able to pay myself a salary.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)