Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minimum Wage Increase

Guest JPH

Guest JPH

From www.direct.gov.uk re- minimum wage:

National Minimum Wage rates are to rise from October 2010, with the minimum rate for workers aged 21 and over rising to £5.93 an hour. And for the first time a minimum wage rate for apprentices has been set.

Apprentice pay

For the first time, an apprentice minimum wage rate has been set at £2.50 an hour

From October 2010, National Minimum Wage rates will increase from:

£5.80 to £5.93 an hour for workers aged 21 and over

£4.83 to £4.92 an hour for workers aged 18 to 20

£3.57 to £3.64 an hour for workers aged 16 to 17

The rise is around the two per cent mark in each category. As promised, the government has extended the adult minimum wage rate to 21-year-olds from October 2010. Previously the qualifying age for the National Minimum Wage was 22.

I had a wonderful meeting with our new accountants today, they told us of a scheme called Future Jobs. It might be based just in Birmingham but the gist is, you sign up with them and then take on a trainee to give them experience, but the wage is paid for. They must have been out of work for 6 months and 18-24 yrs old. They also pay a managerial fee to cover our costs such as CRB for them.

We were thinking of taking on another member of staff but couldnt afford it with the minimum wage increase on the horizon, so this might be worth looking into.

Rea, that reminds me I must look into getting a proper accountant, was it you that mentioned a scheme where they do it voluntarily?

I'm pleased to say that all our staff are already paid more than this increased minimum wage, they were probably some of the few people in the country who got a pay rise last year, which I was happy to push for (not that I got much thanks for it from some!). You guys are definitely underpaid for what you do, when you consider how much effort and often free time goes into this sector.

Rea, that reminds me I must look into getting a proper accountant, was it you that mentioned a scheme where they do it voluntarily?

Some are free I believe but this one isnt. Its going to be around £400 but as they put all surplus back into community projects I dont mind, its still more than half less than what we paid the last 2 years.

I gave our staff a pay rise this year but like you I just wish I could pay them what they're worth. :o

• 4 months later...