Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numeracy Display

Hi All!

I have just started a nursery to conver maternity leave. I have had to start early as the teacher has taken her maternity early, so feeling a little stressed as I havent had a chance to take evrything in. I have been given a numeracy display to do based on the topic of Zoo Animals. Has anyone got any ideas for a display with childrens work?

thanks.

Maybe something based on size - smallest to largest animal with a measure up the side of each with actual heights recorded on, or some sort of bar chart for the childrens favorite zoo animals ? :o

We did a Noah's ark display around numbers - we made labels measuring how many hands high they were, made big and small pairs of animals and talked about pattern when painting the animals and put up observations of the children talking about the patterns they were painting. We painted a great big ark and put all the animals and captions around and inside the ark.

Edited by ems

When we did a Noah's Ark display I told the children to choose a frined to come and paint with and they had to decide together which animal they would paint and then paint one each. It was really good to see the interactions alongside their creative work.

Hi sunai.

Is this for a school display, eg a hall or corridor rather than your own classroom?

Sometimes its irritating when you have to do these things and they don't really 'fit' in with what you are naturally doing..I used to hate displays...not my strength at all

I think I would go with the pattern idea.. get the children to paint animals and talk about their patterns. Id then get some of those very close up photos of a piece of a pattern and ask the wider audience to match the pattern with the animal, perhpas with someflaps to lift to see if their answer is correct.

Hopefully you've got a few ideas to choose from and adapt now..

or another option iv got is to do repeated patterns. Any ideas there? this doesnt have to link with animals. And thanks to all the replies iv had so far.

If it is a small board why not get the children to paint their favourite zoo animal after using a story to motivate them. Limit the size of paper and brush so that they aren't massive, but big enough for nursery children to paint on. Laminate them if possible. Put some on the board with a sign saying 'How many?' and string some numbers up to 10 underneath. The children count and choose the correct numeral. Change the number of animals on the board each day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)