Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Individual Child Planning

Please please help!!!! Desperate!!!

We are being told so many different things we are totally confused!

Can someone pls explain stage by stage how you plan for individual children?

Starting from observation through to a planning format- example would be fantastic- if thats not oo cheecky?

Thanks so very much

sharon

Im glad im not the only one getting confused. Im sure u can read my mind. Im looking for learning journeys from start to finish that i can just download but im so confused i have no idea what im looking for. :o

We find this confusing too! We dont know how you plan for individual children when you have 37 and have to make sure you dont over look anyone. :o

we plan indiviually for all our children

the key person at the begining of each new term (6 terms) and they do on every child 1 or 2 long observations

we ask the child what they have enjoyed we show parents and get there input and then staff look at them and from them they find out what their interests lie and how they can move that child on using the child's interests

also the key person plots on a chart where they are planning for their child ie 22-36m or 40-60m etc

each week my staff all put there plans for the following week on a planning sheet i colate this on a friday and use it and the childrens ideas to complete a weekly provision sheet

My staff put on the planning sheet what area they are looking at ie PSRN or KUW

what stage they are planning at

and what the activity will be, (it is nearly always child intiated)

this is done by every key person and for every child in the setting

Incidental observations are taken over the coming week

and at the end of the week the cycle starts again

then at the begininng of the term long obs are started again

we also complete well being and invovlement sheets on each child too

it works very well for us and we really can take every child's ability and interest into account

this system makes it very inclusive

That's just the link to the Southampton site, but yes, our Learning Stories are based on that one as it's the best I've seen - and I've looked at LOADS!

I have no problem with getting info about interests from parents. Filling out learning journals. My prob is how to show on plans individual children we have 76 over weeks with 4 key persons.

our time is taken up sorting out squabbles and day to day care never alone planning for individuals etc

i need a magic wand

buttercup

ok buttercup you sound like you are in a similar position to us i am taking it you are sessional care and it sound like your 4 staff are full time- i guess that gives you about 18 children each .....( have i guessed right? :o ) firstly we do not have learning journeys(shock horror!!!) we do however have a pre-profile/profile for all children which does have a record of their learning from before they start to when they finish with us (as described in the eyfs!) this has photos and some childrens items in it and quotes from the children (the childrens voice!) this is our summative assessment for the formative assessment we use the childrens needs/interests/can do'sand responses to plan next steps every fortnight (you might want to do this 3weekly as you have more children) these are then used for suggested activities - you will often find a group which needs more time on mark making or number recognition or 2d etc etc. these are then plotted onto plans for the session so e.g. sand trays for mark making - possible children mark/sue/jill etc

Does this make sense? any help?? - happy to accept comments on this as it is not OFSTED tested!! xD ( although got good marks at moderation and eccers :( )

ok buttercup you sound like you are in a similar position to us i am taking it you are sessional care and it sound like your 4 staff are full time- i guess that gives you about 18 children each .....( have i guessed right? :o ) firstly we do not have learning journeys(shock horror!!!) we do however have a pre-profile/profile for all children which does have a record of their learning from before they start to when they finish with us (as described in the eyfs!) this has photos and some childrens items in it and quotes from the children (the childrens voice!) this is our summative assessment for the formative assessment we use the childrens needs/interests/can do'sand responses to plan next steps every fortnight (you might want to do this 3weekly as you have more children) these are then used for suggested activities - you will often find a group which needs more time on mark making or number recognition or 2d etc etc. these are then plotted onto plans for the session so e.g. sand trays for mark making - possible children mark/sue/jill etc

Does this make sense? any help?? - happy to accept comments on this as it is not OFSTED tested!! xD ( although got good marks at moderation and eccers :( )

thanks for that we are a playgroup but open 9-3 some children 9-12 some 9-1 and some allday with 2-3 yr olds coming 3 afternoons. sounds complicted but works. Another problem we have is 2-3 yrs only coming 1 or 2 sessions a week. gathering lots of ideas. will try some to see what will work. hoping to have a better system in september.

buttercup

Its so hard isnt it why do we al seem to have so many hang ups on plnning! As you say huge amounts of time are spent sorting childrens "issues" out clearing up and sometimes its hard eough to get through the day!

I feel as though I am taking one step forward and 50 backwards!!!!

If anyone has a template they could share that shows childrens next steps I would be very grateful

Also how many times do you try and cover individuals next steps and over what time scale?

thanks

sharon

Can I just ask are you all school nurseries or private settings.

I have totally reviewed my planning and I am now wanting to plan more focused in response to children's interests and needs.

All practitioners write incidental observations and they also have a intervention sheet where throughout the week, they note any intervention needed, we either address it on next day, next week at planning sessions! Planning is done daily, we all discuss enhancements at start of week/fortnight etc, tend not to work on a weekly cycle as children's interests last alot longer. Enhancement planning is displayed in all areas of learning and outdoor staff have a enhancement planning sheet on their clipboards so everyone knows possible learning outcomes in different areas.

I also want to start writing individual planning sheets for each child? Not familiar with PLOD's but thats kind of the idea. Does any school nursery use these and how manageable do you find them. Bear in mind we have 60 children and 3 members of staff????????

We also do summative assessments on maths, physical dev, letters and sounds, long observations are good for assessing PSED. Next steps can be planned for these, but other areas e.g. CD, KUW, R, W, etc etc are based on observations.

Collectively not doing a bad job, but like anything, want to get planning more responsive to where children are at so really feel individual planning sheets are way forward

any support, ideas, responses appreciated!! If I make sense!!!!!!!!!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)