Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Going Green?

Well after a break away from the forum (not my choice) i'm please to say IM BACK!!!!! and already hooked again!!

My question is.. the section on the Sef form about sustainability...does this refer to green issues such as using the water from the water tray to water the plants/ how we recycle ?

or how we manage our budgets/ support parents to attend the setting? or both?

A little confused :o x

Well after a break away from the forum (not my choice) i'm please to say IM BACK!!!!! and already hooked again!!

My question is.. the section on the Sef form about sustainability...does this refer to green issues such as using the water from the water tray to water the plants/ how we recycle ?

or how we manage our budgets/ support parents to attend the setting? or both?

A little confused :o x

44 views but no answers.... anyone out there??? xD

44 views but no answers.... anyone out there??? :o

Frankly, as a SEF-less setting I have no idea. I'm hopting to look at it tomorrow (today) when we're closed for polling. Maybe I'll have a better idea then. Or maybe not!

Maz

I'm kind of looking at all areas that I can reasonably do in our setting so paper recycling will be top of the list and we are looking into an ink cartridge recycling collection for us and the families too. If you have a look at the guidance for inspectors just published it gives some more clarification of what inspectors are looking for.

i think (without actually finding mine! cannot lay hands on it) that is was how setting will survivie, but i think i might add environmental into mine aswell

got my Sejar on monday so will shout if i get any tips xx

I'm worried because I can't recall filling out that section!!

Must revisit SEF.

I'd assume sustainability as in going green actually, this was a big section in our recent bid for capital funding and is a current biggie as far as DCSF goes. They probably don't care much if us voluntary preschools go under :o

If you look at the section in the inspector's guidance it certainly talks about environmental aspects. I'm waiting for Ofsted to use it as their excuse for not replying to our letters :o

I'm worried because I can't recall filling out that section!!

Thank goodness you said that - nor can I xD

Sustainability to my mind refers to the future running of your setting i.e. do you expect to have enough children to enable you to keep operating...........

Now where did I 'file' my SEF....... :o

Oops crossed posts there with Holly.......ah so...... environmental issues........hmmm........we send our veggie peelings home with various children for their rabbits.......oh and one little boy takes them for his pigs!!!

Edited by sunnyday

My thinking is based on the fact that if a setting applies to its LA for 'sustainability' funding, its usually beacuse there is some issue with it staying open (maybe fall in numbers, a crisis which has cost money etc), it isn't usually because a setting wants to be 'greener'

Interesting question though, I can feel a look at our SEF guidance coming on..

Aha Ive just had another thought. In the EQISP booklet, in the categorization of settings, there is one for 'sustainability issues' and this covers business planning.

Sustainable development

In March 2005 the government launched its sustainable development strategy called Securing the Future, which responded to increasing concerns over climate change,unsustainable consumption, loss of natural resources and quality of life in communities. This strategy set out five principles which form the basis of sustainability: living within environmental limits; ensuring a strong, healthy and just society; achieving a sustainable economy; promoting good governance; and using sound science responsibly.

The government placed challenging targets on schools and children’s centres to become sustainable organisations. While providers in the private, voluntary and independent sector will not have such targets unless they are in receipt of government funding, the principles that apply in the sustainable development strategy include consideration of children’s well-being, a key feature of early years inspections. Inspectors should consider sustainability when gathering evidence for:

␣ outcomes, including the extent to which children have healthy lifestyles, develop responsible behaviour and care for each other and their environment

␣ the quality of provision, including the opportunities in the educational programme for children to improve their health and well-being through regular exercise and playing outdoors; and to participate in activities such as planting and growing

␣ leadership and management, including the awareness of sustainability in such areas as the provision of food and drink, the efficient and effective use of resources and the provider’s engagement with parents and carers.

This is the section I was referring to from the guidance for inspectors.

This is the section I was referring to from the guidance for inspectors.

Thanks guys, helpful as always...i will definitely be adding a bit of both!

Every little helps as Tescos would say!!x :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)