Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crb

anyone else having this problem...

We naturally don't let anyone start a position until we have their CRB clearance through. In our last recruitment campaign, we did all the paerwork sent off for the CRB and then had notification from the staff (2 of them) that they had got another job they could start sooner (without the CRB) so were taking that thus leaving me short of two staff and out of pocket for the crb!

Does anyone charge for the CRB? does anyone have a clause that can claw it back if they then withdraw- am I the only person that won't let them start without a CRB???

i am intersted in other answers to this - i have let staff start with no crb's or ones from other institutions. but they are unable to operate independently in the setting until it is through - however we have just had a committee member who is still waiting for his crb to come through some 6 months after applying!!! he has now moved on to another setting and we have been told it is still in process with the police OMG what will happen when everyone needs isa's as well :oxD

When I used to work in a nursery staff were allowed to start without there clearence however they were NEVER allowed to be alone with the children. This usually worked quite well until I once had around 4 staff who were waiting for clearence which was a nightmare!!!!

I know this isn't ideal but we had to ensure that we were meeting the ratio's and when staff suddenly leave, or are asked to leave there isn't much else that you can do

Rapunzel x

We have let them start without the CRB, but I usually telephone Capita (our CRB place) to make sure they've received the paperwork first. Then it's just the same as others have said, they're not left on their own with children until it's through. Then we have a party because someone else gets the nappies for a bit! :o

i used to follow a similar procedure to that, however in a bid to tighten up and safer recruitment yadda yadda yadda I decided that we would be proactive in our recruitment;

thereby hopefully avoiding those times when its tight on staffing and ensuring that we don't get into that "nappy" issue.

And to be fair it is working on all fronts apart from this time! I think I'm going to have to get them to sign something that states if they withdraw they are liable for the cost of the crb... think my recruitment may just get harder!

Hi

As some posts above, i let staff start without clearance being received, however, at no time are they left unsupervised or take part in any nappy changing / toileting / changing children's clothes / first aid etc.

For me it would just not be viable to wait for clearance as it can take too long. I use the period when they do not have clearance as their induction, where they shadow other staff members and learn the basics of their new role.

With regards to cost, we use TMG CRB who undertake the checks and receive payment from Ofsted. The only time i pay for checks is for long standing staff members who i renew every 2 years - not an Ofsted requirement so they will not pay for this!

Same for me....it would be ridiculous for us to wait - I am waiting for 3 at the moment to be cleared...in the meantime these staff are not left alone with children and do not change the children etc....it's a pain...I keep having to chase up crbS it does seem to take a lot of my time and although I realise it is important I think the Vetting and Barring system may work more effectively.... :o

Guest jenpercy
Hi

With regards to cost, we use TMG CRB who undertake the checks and receive payment from Ofsted. The only time i pay for checks is for long standing staff members who i renew every 2 years - not an Ofsted requirement so they will not pay for this!

We don't renew as OFSTED have said that this is not necessary. If anyone got a conviction after they started working for us, we would know as the poiced and OFSTED would stpo them working for us.

Hi there I use Nestor crb if you want to google it and I don't pay for my crbs, put everyone through including my hubby lol with no charge so why not take a look. I'm going to give them a ring tom to see if there is a cost for the ISA or not, fingers crossed.

We take staff on whilst they are waiting for their crb. I look at their previous and keep a record but they are never left alone and certainly do not change nappies or do toileting until they eventually come through.

We use Capita and dont pay for CRB's. We too allow new staff to start but they are never left alone with the children

Thank you all of you!

Firstly now I know I don't have to pay that makes a difference!

I'm quite fortunate in that my staffing system enables me to do it this way- might think of ways round it though!

thanks again

Z

Guest jenpercy

ISA is £64 to the individual applicant. I feel that I will have to pay for my staff, or they won't want to work for us. It's a day's pay in the hols or 3 days after school once tax has been deducted. Why should some of the lowest paid in the country have to pay for what probably won't make any difference. Yes Ian Huntley should have been banned, but the girls went into the house because he said his girlfriend, who they knew was there. Vanessa george had a clean record.

If this system was to replace CRB, that would be one thing, but i still can't see why this is another thing to be paid for where there is already no spare mnoey.

Jen