Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Split Of State/pvi

Hi all, wasn't sure where to put this so have plumped for here, I'm sure someone will move it if it's in the wrong place!

Anyway, I am trying to find out what the split is between provision offered by the state sector (i.e. state school nurseries) and that offered by the PVI sector. Is one larger than the other, what are the percentages, does anyone know? I know where I live Bristol have loads of state nursery provision, whereas Bath and NE Somerset is mostly PVI.

Also, I wonder if this will change as the single formula funding thing comes in, and also as we start to get more children's centres - any thoughts!?

And last bit of the question, kind of related, does anyone know what the policies are of those parties which aren't Labour on things like nursery grant funding? Is it going to be suddenly withdrawn (would be nightmare for settings like ours if it was).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi there. Im sure this varies form LA to LA, I know 1 LA I worked in had a nursery class in almost every school, but as you say this isnt the same everywhere. I am pretty srue I read the national figures somewhere recently whilst I was rummaging around in some document or other (possibly SFF stuff) so if I get that 'oooh I remember' moment Ill let you know.

Regarding CCs, again in my previous LA, most CCs linked with existing childcare where possible and so not many actually opened new provision. (for example a number of nursery schools have now become CCs).

I am curious to learn why you want to know?

In answer to the last part of your question, I think the viewpoint of the three major parties is as follows:-

Labour - committed to free 15 hour entitlement for three year olds, as already announced.

Conservative - have not committed to completely free entitlement which has indicated that they will allow settings to charge top up fees

Lib Dems - committed to retaining free entitlement, moving towards funding free education and care for all two year olds when there is enough money to do so.

That's just off the top of my head, so I am ready to stand corrected. I did post a brief summary of all the info in a thread as each manifesto was delivered. Hopefully some of it stuck!

Maz

Hi there. Im sure this varies form LA to LA, I know 1 LA I worked in had a nursery class in almost every school, but as you say this isnt the same everywhere. I am pretty srue I read the national figures somewhere recently whilst I was rummaging around in some document or other (possibly SFF stuff) so if I get that 'oooh I remember' moment Ill let you know.

Regarding CCs, again in my previous LA, most CCs linked with existing childcare where possible and so not many actually opened new provision. (for example a number of nursery schools have now become CCs).

I am curious to learn why you want to know?

Thanks for the replies.

It's in relation to a resource I'm helping develop, we're wondering whether to aim it more at PVI or at state sector (i.e. more at practitioners/EYPs or at teachers).

Hi Suzie - further to reply from Maz....

It is my understanding that Labour are vehemently opposed to any form of 'top up charges' and that the Lib. Dems. favour a 'slimmed down' version of the EYFS.........

Edited by sunnyday

Thanks for the homework Maz :o

You might just be better off reading this week's Nursery World. They have a four page article on the main parties' manifesto pledges - each party has their own page apparently written Ed Balls, Maria Miller (shadow minister for the family, apparently) and Nick Clegg.

Although I do worry a bit about the fact that there is a photo of a cork board with the letters VOTE pinned onto it, on the page where Labour have set out their stall. Wonder if this is a genuine mistake or Nursery World every so subtly pinning their colours to the mast?

Maz