Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wooden Wheels

Cait

Hi, I'm looking for some wooden (or plastic - not fussy) wheels that the children can use to make some vehicles to race their bears down a ramp.

Naturally I want to do this before they lose interest, so does anyone know of anywhere I can get some, in a bit of a hurry!

This thread reminded me of an old headteacher. DT was a 'new' thing with a big push from up high and she'd invested in plastic pipes, cogs, connectors, glue guns and some small wooden wheels etc. Excited by the new resources we made vehicles for our transport topic (reception) They were displayed for a couple of weeks, admired and a pat the back for showing the rest of school how to use DT supplies xD When the display came down the children were lined up on the corridor excitedly exiting the building with their precious vehicles when in full sail *cough* the head came screaming down the corridor "WHAT ARE THOSE CHILDREN DOING! THEY CAN'T TAKE THE WHEELS HOME!!! TAKE THEM OFF WE NEED THEM FOR NEXT YEAR!!" She really expected us to pull off the wheels and let the children take home wheel-less models :o This was the same head who when we said the painting paper had run out said "well can't the children paint on both sides of the paper?" :( We were told to dry the paintings and the next time a child wanted to paint find an old painting of theirs so they could paint on the back to save on the paper bill.

Well done Cait letting your children have their own sets of wheels :(

Edited by Guest

I thought we'd experiment with the mobilo ones and then they can make their proper models with the wooden ones. There could even be some problem-solving to see which is best ....

oh - and yes - I can remember our headteacher instructing us to pull wheels off as they were a precious resource - or asking parents for 50p towards the cost!!!

Edited by Cait

I have a box in the pre-school kitchen where we add clean milk bottle lids and squash lids. It's amazing how quickly it fills up and they make excellent wheels for model making.

Realise this won't be a quick solution though!