Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sun Cream

Having reacquainted myself with the guidance for sun safety, I would like to provide a suitable suncream in our pre-school that staff apply to children with the option for parents to bring in their own if they wish.

Can anybody recommend a suitable 'broad spectrum' suncream with an SPF of 30 that is also reasonably priced?

Thanks

Guest Spiral

Hi Deb,

we've always gone for the same make (Boots own kids one 30+). Quite simply, the criteria was that it was on special offer!

I would say, we've nearly finished one bottle per year, I do have notices up stating which suncream we use and asking parents to bring their own if they have a preference or skin allergy to ours. We simply couldn't afford to pay out for three or four different types.

Parents do sing a form which states that they are happy for us to use this type (we tell them the make).

sun cream does go 'off', so buy a new one each year.

Spiral.

We also get the Boots own brand childrens cream. I discovered with my own children that they couldn't use it but as we use it for an emergency application it doesn't break the bank cost wise. I also explain the parents that in my experience just because it says "for children" on the label it doesn't mean it will suit all children.

I also use the Boots own brand - and parents sign a declaration to say that they'll put suncream on their child before they leave them with us, and that they have checked the ingredients of the cream we use and let us know if their child is allergic.

Maz

Guest Spiral

Hi Deb,

we use the 30spf.

Also our statement that is signed by p[arents stipulates that we will help the child to put it on. I remember there being a blip in the understanding some years ago, and there were groups stating that the children should put it on themselves, however, I couldn't envisage a three year old slapping on the suncream and not missing a few areas.

Have a look here as well, there's all sorts of bits and bobs;

http://www.sunsmart.org.uk/index.htm

Spiral.

Thanks for the links Spiral, very useful, and for the tips on managing the application of sun cream.

Maz that seems like an easy way to explain to parents when they should be sun cream on and when staff will put it on. I've gone all the way round the houses previously - when all I need to say was - please apply suncream before you leave your child with us - simple! Then staff will help children apply suncream when children stay all day.

Do you insist that parents provide a sunhat and that children wear them outside? I remember one year a parent saying that her daughter did not have to wear a hat at my old setting which of course is difficult if all the other children have to. In the past I have given the children the option, to play indoors to outdoors but if they want to go outside they must wear a sun hat, most children comply then because it's so wonderful outside.

BTW looking forward to going back tomorrow. Spent all day Saturday putting the finishing touches to the groundwork side of our garden project. It was a bit like groundforce, the garden looks wonderful. Think the children will love the new willow tunnel! I'm wondering how long the different coloured stones, pebbles and slate set around our horseshoe shaped bench will stay that way. Could be another colour matching opportunity for the children!

Guest Spiral

Hi Deb,

going off the point quite a bit, but where how etc did you get a willow tunnel from? We'd love one too!

Spiral.

just don't put it anywhere near any drains or pipework or buildings! :o

Quick edit to add that our suncream permission is on the children's details forms, something along the lines of "I give my permission for staff to help my child apply suncream when deemed appropriate" I just put a sentence in the newsletter too to tell parents what brand we're using and to let me know if that's not ok for their child. We have some legionnaire style sunhats I bought on ebay, but most children bring their own

Edited by Cait

Just a word of caution here.. I do add it regulalry I know but worht remembering..

when putting on sun cream please observe any child you have applied it to, or at least be aware they can develop a reaction to it..even if it is one they have used before they can still ract to it..

I had a mum apply sun cream to her child before bringing her in, just as we asked.

On her way to us just half hour later the child came out in a rash and blotches , and swollen lips, and instead of coming in ended up in A&E.. where it was decided that she had a reaction to the sun cream and was admitted to hosp for observation... this was one mum had regularly used before, a hypo allergenic child's high factor cream.

So please be aware of the negative side of putting on creams..

As to hats.. we had a huge basket of legionnaire ones, bought as a job lot with our logo on them... and all children wore a hat outside... even children who never wore one for parents willingly donned ours as everyone else had one and it was a choice of wear it or stay inside... so if they didn't have one we did..

and can I just add at this point I also made all staff wear a hat outside as well... lead by example, if children have to wear one why don't you?

I had a lovely straw hat covered in flowers and feathers and all sorts, known as Inge's hat and if anyone else wore it the children told them off.. It made the point to children and parents about wearing hats.. even found some come with own decorated hats once they had seen mine..

Inge

are you a member of the which reviews. I've just been busy reading their reviews and Asda factor 15 came top. Apparently factor 15 is just as good as factor 15 and it is purely a myth that factor 30 gives anymore than a little protection. At a cost of £3 to i think its a real bargain and will hitting my nearest asda soonest.

Maz - I don't suppose I could see your sun cream permission form? I know - I've got more neck the Sainsburys - or something like that.

Isn't it more rabbit than sainsbury's? And more front than... no, I can't remember.

Here it is Deb - it is now part of our registration form but this was an extra one I got parents to sign when I realised we didn't actually have permission to apply sun cream to any of our children! :o

Maz

Sunscreen_form.docx

Sunscreen_form.doc

Edited by HappyMaz
To add document in older version of Word

More front than Brighton perhaps!

Many thanks Maz for sharing your declaration form.

Thank you everyone else for your replies too, in a bit of a rush just now, but all comments duly noted. Didn't want to dash off with thanking you all.