Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Grandson's Maths Homework!

sunnyday

I have a book called "Maths for Mums and Dads"...

Mean = the most common form of average, calculated by finding the total of a group of numbers and dividing the number in the group

Median = One way of expressing the average - the median is the middle value if all the items are listen in order from smallest to largest - so the median of 1, 3, 3, 5, 7, 8, 8 is 5 (the middle number)

It doesn't give a definiution of 'range' but I think it is the difference between the highest and lowest number in a list so if the numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 the range will be 5 (6-1). But then again I'm not the brightest star in the mathematical firmament, as mundia will testify!

Good luck!

Maz

I can't do it at all and now I'm going to be trying to help you and your grandson all day instead of getting on with all this very important work - well any excuse! Please let me know if you solve it won't you?

Ok, in true mundia style, I'm not going to give your the answers.

BUt Ill try some hints.

As Maz has already said, first you need to understand what the words mean. The mean is stated as 15 in the question, and there are 5 numbers, this should tell you what the total of all the numbers will be..?

16 is the median so if you write down the numbers in a line, 16 will be in the middle.

5 is the range ie the difference between the highest and lowest numbers.

Now I would just ask are you sure you have all the numbers correct? If so I can reveal that they are not all whole numbers!

Good luck!

Thanks all! xD

He's sitting behind me now......making positive noises........let you know if we ever get there! :(

Now we know we're not looking for 'whole' numbers - he may just crack it! :o

I'm usually a homework fan.....but not sure about school hols..........

Edited by sunnyday

I'm usually a homework fan.....but not sure about school hols..........

I'm with you there! Are children allowed to be children these days and have a break? I have threatened to not let my children do theirs on the basis that a holiday is a holiday. I've never seen them move to do their homework so fast after that!

Mind you I'm one to talk - I'm sure you know that my presence on here is diversion from my "real work" which is, incidentally, piled all around me like a fortress :o

It looks right to me sunnyday.

Thanks Holly you are a star! xD

He is a very well brought up young man - well eleven year old........he said "can you tell your friends that I said thank you nana"

So there we are a big thank you from him! :(

So all we have left now is some 'comprehension' - tomorrow methinks! :o