Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Doyou Think Of This Then?

Hi all

Was just updating ourwebsite when i came across another preschool website in a village 5 mins away from ours. They are using the same layout as ourselves (free set up provided by BT) and so i thoughtto check out the competitions website!!! Couldnt believe it when i read the following:

We offer convenient and flexible sessions, including morning and afternoon sessions, a lunch club and day care from 9.00am - 3.15pm. Our qualified staff are able to care for your children on a ratio of 1 adult to every 5 children with a maximum of 25 children per session.The sesions are open to children aged between 2½ and school age. Children need to be toilet trained .

Thought we were not able to state this now???

Oh don't get me started! There is one up the road from us who also say this - their argument is they are in a community hall and don't have changing facilities. Er, yes so are we, and we bought a changing mat from Wilkinsons for about £5! I constantly tell parents they should complain to the LA about them when they turn up at our door asking for a place because they have been turned down over the issue up there. Unfortunately they are linked to a highly successful and oversubscribed school so no one wants to rock the boat. Sometimes our welcoming ethos swings it our way and they stay until school. Others use us as a stop gap until their child is toilet trained :o And then we have the conversation with the school nurseries who want to take our just three year olds who haven't go the hang of it yet. But I won't open that can of worms!

Not been able to say that for a few years now..

I had a miffed parent complain to Ofsted saying we had said that to her... about 5 years ago now.. and we were fully investigated and had all sorts of stuff thrown at us... (all because we were actually full and had no place for her child.. she had expected a place immediately and we had no clue about her child, apparently Dad had said he had done it.. errr no!)

we were lucky in being able to prove we were ok with all the paperwork that goes alongside, but it did make us introduce a nappy changing agreement with parents so there were no more misunderstandings..

All it needs is a parent or someone to complaint .... but will they...

Inge

I think you're allowed to say whatever you like if you can get away with it! Someone really needs to test whether the DDA can be relied upon to protect children from exclusion in this way - and that will require a parent or another agency to take a stand and take a setting to court.

It is galling for settings who are spreading the word about children's rights and treating families fairly, and I think you'd have every right to draw this to the attention of your Local Authority.

If these things go unchallenged then groups like this will continue to get away with it.

Maz

I'd agree with Maz about bring it to someones attention. The stress of toilet training is bad enough without having to do it to a deadline for goodness sake.

When our local school allowed a suretstart nursery on its site, we found out they were telling people their child would get a place at the school recpetion if they went there, we made a noise about it and it stopped.

Their comment shouldnt affect your setting but parents reading it might assume all settings require the same.

We only opened in September and we rent a classroom and garden from our local primary school, I went to Ikea and bought a wall mounted changing unit, it takes up very little space as it folds up against the wall and it only cost £50.00. When I had our Ofsted registration visit Mrs O was very impressed and couldn't belive it only cost £50!! My husband had to install it (I made him hang off of it and as he weighs 17 stone felt it was a pretty good test)!!!

We have a nappy changing policy in place that does state that although we will dispose of wet nappies, soiled nappies have to be taken home by parents. This hasn't been a problem so far, other than one parent who would leave the school grounds and throw the nappy out of the car window!!

I can't see how settings get away with it as there are many reasonably priced options available to accomodate children in nappies, maybe they just don't want/need the business!!

Kris

Hi We are also in a community hall and have no problem with changing children.

Tesco sell a great range of changing mats etc.

I also think it is easier to have the children in nappies until they are ready to use the toilet.

If not the result is children coming to Pre-School in pants when they are not really ready and then the result is lots of accidents, which are a lot more difficult to deal with than chaning a nappy.

Don't you agree?