Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Get Started With Eyfs

:o hiya Im a newbie here- need some advice please on how to get started with EYFS from first day onwards ! I have four kids of my own, two at school ; one at preschool and a 2yr old. I was going to use my 2yrs to practice the obs/record keeping etc. Due an inspection in 6months and although I am looking activiel for more work thought that a practice run my apease the big 'O' lady. Have looked at various all about me stuff and 'learning journals' but dont know which to use . Some seem excessively pricey and I am still trying to get my head around what is practical to use with an already over stretched time frame - which I am sure all of you can relate to. Any advice on anything from organisation of paperwork to what to use will be most grateful.

many thanks xD

Welcome to the forum :)

Please don't panic you will be ok. You don't need to use expensive stuff I use a ring binder folder for my learning journey/story what ever you decide to call it. I stick photos and obs on A4 paper and keep it in the folder. I had Mrs O visit in Feb and she was happy with that. I use exercise books for daily diaries to go between home and myself for writing eat/sleep.details and other relevant information they can be brought in Asda/tescos.

Do you have a development worker or similiar in your area who can help you. We have development workers who come out and support you getting ready for Ofsted visit, they can show you planning templates and help with policy writing.

I have found this site very helpful. Good luck you will be fine.

Tink69

I think the most important things to focus on are

1) what information will you find useful?

2) what information do you want to share with the parents/will the parents want to see?

There is no point in keeping records which you will not use so think carefully about how you plan, then work out what information you need about the children to support that planning.

Do you need to do formal observations in order to record their interests or could you just jot things on post-it notes as you see them?

Are you the sort of person who can record something on a scrap of paper then write it up in neat later? Or are you more like me - would never get round to writing it up and the bit of paper would get lost. If it's the latter have a format you can keep to hand at all times and write in as you go along.

My golden rule is to write down as little as possible. Parents love annotated photos - I email them to parents at work if they would like. Ofsted like to see how your records link to your planning so make sure the link is obvious. The rest is about finding what suits you. I imagine you'll try several formats before you find what works for your setting.

And as Tink69 says - don't spend loads of money.

Good luck. I hope you find some work soon.

Just to back up what Upsy Daisy said I don't write loads and loads I keep paperwork to the bare minimum and Ofsted were fine with this(i was graded Good) as long as I could show how my children were progressing. I do take lots of photographs though.

Tink69 :o

Thanks Tink69/upsydaisy- dont want to appear thick here but' showing how they are progressing' is this done by what you plan next to do with them and they do it?

Re development worker - what are they ? I am in Formby nr Liverpool which is under Sefton (notoriously c**p at everything) and to be honest the little I have done re training (an obs/planning course for two hrs which was c**p) gave very basic help. I have one or two local childminders that I could quiz but dont see regularly /the main 'network' ones are in a real click which I have no desire to try and infiltrate (oldies whom have been around for yrs)

So I have been surfing the web for the best part of this last week (found some good software) but very little useful practical help, spent bloody £15 at some treasure chest site which did give some policy info but wanted a further similar amount for EYFS too !

forgive the slight rant but why we werent given proformas and egs to use I dont know. Apparantly NCMA (another money grabbing outfit) have some good journals - and I think I read that on here somewhere too !

Sooo thankfully ( I have to finish positively dont I ?) I found this site and only hesitated fractionally when they wanted £'s too !!! :o

You are not appearing thick, waveawand!

I show the children making progress through the annotated photographs I described earlier and comments I make as they meet each of the little 'stepping stones' which are laid out in EYFS Development Matters. Worcestershire have provided a format with the stepping stones laid out and room for a comment next to each one so I just use this.

In addition to these I use a daily retrospective planning sheet on which I record the most significant activities for each day, which areas of learning they covered and perhaps a couple of sentences of evaluation and next steps. I include things like nappy changes and snack times as well as play activities because they are all learning opportunities. I do not record the whole of each day.

I have an exercise book for each under two to record meals, nappy changes, sleeps, etc to send home with the child each day.

I use the fact that I plan retrospectively and follow the children's lead every day to justify how their progress links to my planning. By that I mean that a child will follow their own interests and work at an appropriate developmental level if they are choosing from a wide range of high quality resources and their play is supported by an interested adult (me) who offers ideas for extension and consolidation whilst ensuring that the child retains control.

I hope this makes things a little clearer. If it makes matters worse please feel free to ignore me and wait for someone else to offer something more sensible!

Although I work in a school just wanted to tell you not to spend too much money - examples of learning journals, ones you can print for free, development matters statements, samples of planning etc. are all available on the internet if you don't mind spending a bit of time trawling (with a cup of tea and some chocolate) A good place to look - and often under-used are local authority learning grids, but many have their stuff available for people from all areas to print for free - try googling an area name with the words learning grid afterwards and you might just come up with some good stuff (sadly some not so good too) Leicestershire is good if I recall, Sussex too (which is where I got my learning journal ideas from). Also if you're confident with computers you can look at lots of examples and then make your own in Word or something similiar (which is what I ended up doing). Hope this helps

Lucy

Have you looked at the Bromley childminding association pages as they have lots of examples and its all free :o Like others have said you have to find what works for you.

We have development workers here in Norfolk that will come and give you any support you need, they offer termly visits and will help with anything to do with your childminding setting, planning/marketing/risk assesment etc. We must be very lucky as we have a days training on planning and obs which I will be attending in July we have a lot of training opportunities but it does come down to your local area and what they spend their money on.

Please don't worry I have only been doing this since Sept 09 and its been trial and error but I an getting there.

A book that I have found very helpful is Practical EYFS Handbook by Penny Tassoni it gives lots of helpful information and ideas.

Tink69

HI there waveawand, welcome to the forum, Im sure you will find lots of support here.

Are you new to childminding or just new to the EYFS? There are lots of childminders here who can give you sound advice. How many children are you going to have?

DO you have a childminding network coordinator? it does vary around the country, but they could be the people who provide support to childminders, and invite you to various network groups or sessions at the local Children's Centre for example.. this can all help to make you feel less isolated and give you an opportunity to find out from more experienced CMs in your area. Could you give your early years team a ring and see what is available to support you.

Take care.

Although I work in a school just wanted to tell you not to spend too much money - examples of learning journals, ones you can print for free, development matters statements, samples of planning etc. are all available on the internet if you don't mind spending a bit of time trawling (with a cup of tea and some chocolate) A good place to look - and often under-used are local authority learning grids, but many have their stuff available for people from all areas to print for free - try googling an area name with the words learning grid afterwards and you might just come up with some good stuff (sadly some not so good too) Leicestershire is good if I recall, Sussex too (which is where I got my learning journal ideas from). Also if you're confident with computers you can look at lots of examples and then make your own in Word or something similiar (which is what I ended up doing). Hope this helps

Lucy

thanks for this Lucy, I thought I might end up cobbling something together too and did actually( in a previous life !) use the pc as part of my job so its not too unfamiliar. Thanks again for the suggestions. :o

Sooo thankfully ( I have to finish positively dont I ?) I found this site and only hesitated fractionally when they wanted £'s too !!! :o

I may be biased, waveawand, but I have to say that the £20 membership subscription was probably the best investment I ever made. It will be repaid many times over not only in the quality of advice, documents and information available from everyone on here, but also in the friendship and support that you can access 24 hours a day, every day.

Welcome to the Forum - make yourself at home and I hope you find a way through your current dilemma soon.

Maz

HI there waveawand, welcome to the forum, Im sure you will find lots of support here.

Are you new to childminding or just new to the EYFS? There are lots of childminders here who can give you sound advice. How many children are you going to have?

DO you have a childminding network coordinator? it does vary around the country, but they could be the people who provide support to childminders, and invite you to various network groups or sessions at the local Children's Centre for example.. this can all help to make you feel less isolated and give you an opportunity to find out from more experienced CMs in your area. Could you give your early years team a ring and see what is available to support you.

Take care.

Hiya Mundia, Ive been a childminder for 5yrs but only took on a school run as I was pregnant with my third child at the time. Now I have four kids, two at school, one at preschool and a 2yr old. Having had to move my older two kids to a school across town due to bullying, I am now trying to take the job more seriously as an income earner and so am trying to update myself, my systems to make sure Mrs 'Awful' (alias 'O') is nice to me this time around. As you can guess the previous experience was horrendous and she/they penalised me for ignorance of their systems. Unfortunaley the CMs network lot are not very nice to be extremely polite about it.

I do have one friend whom is a childminder but she is going to change her career to counselling now in view of EYFS.

So Im trying to kick start my brain into action and hopeful work out a system that doesnt infringe on my limited time ( I have time now as my hubby has taken the others out !in case your wondering!) but satisfies Mrs Awful.

Re number of kids - dont know but it is limited I think to one under one year and one within Early Years register. I always have to re-read my certificate of registration several times to work out what I am allowed !! Its the way they phrase everything !! My Early Years team dont make me think of postive thoughts either Im afraid. They didnt helpme the last time I was in trouble especially when the 'O' word is mentioned. Pathetic really. I will look at other authoritories for help though.

I read your blog. As an aside, are you from Africa living here ? My sister does a lot of charity work with Jospice in Central America. My mum is Spanish and my dad taught languages so we as a family are fairly internationally friendly anyway !! (Im one of nine by the way )

Thanks for the post too. It so nice that people are willing to help. This does seem to be the most friendliest forum/and active one I been on. :o

I hope this makes things a little clearer. If it makes matters worse please feel free to ignore me and wait for someone else to offer something more sensible!

Upsydaisy I wouldnt dream of ignoring anybody and certainly not you feel like I know you already !! - its great that there have been so many positive and helpful posts. I feel Ive been here for years already !! :o

I read your blog. As an aside, are you from Africa living here ?

Thanks for the post too. It so nice that people are willing to help. This does seem to be the most friendliest forum/and active one I been on. :o

I lived in Afrika with my family for 4 years, working as a volunteer with VSO, had the most fantastic experience there, lots of wonderful memories (plebty of sad ones too, but they are overwhelming wonderful years!).

You are most welcome, we are a pretty friendly bunch and there is usually someone around who can help you on your way, so I will leave the way clear for our childminders to continue to offer their words of wisdom..

Hi, welcome to the Forum!!

I've been childminding for 12+ years and despite all the experience that's brought I still find fab advice and support here! There are great things in the resources section which may save you hours of time setting up your paperwork and the articles Helen has published on what Ofsted are looking for are great when it comes to knowing exactly what the Inspectors are targetting at this time.

I know just what you mean about the small groups of childminders who shut others out - I've seen that in this LA, too and there are certain play centres, drop-ins and toddler groups that others won't attend because of them :o

However, I'm sure you'll meet lots of lovely, supportive, local childminders on training courses and perhaps at your Children's Centre?

Good Luck with getting up and running soon!

Nona

Don't know if this is any help but was just going through the CPD page of the DCSF national strategies page, as they have various E-learning courses that you can access by registering on the site and there is one for childminders to help develop their assessment and planning skills.

Hopefully this link will work and should take you to the correct page:

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/search/cpd/results/nav:81851

Eidted to say - I checked the link and it doesn't work, sorry. Hopefully someone will come along and post it properly for me! Or you could copy and paste the link into your address bar.

Edited by Guest

Eidted to say - I checked the link and it doesn't work, sorry. Hopefully someone will come along and post it properly for me! Or you could copy and paste the link into your address bar.

Can't see anything wrong with your link, so have added one to see if this works!

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.g...sults/nav:81851

Just going to test it now!

Maz

PS The link works in that it takes you to the place I intended, however I'm not sure if this the page Laila was talking about. Perhaps there's nothing wrong with your link Laila, but something about the way you attached it? Let me know if you'd like to compare methods!

• 1 month later...
You are not appearing thick, waveawand!

I show the children making progress through the annotated photographs I described earlier and comments I make as they meet each of the little 'stepping stones' which are laid out in EYFS Development Matters. Worcestershire have provided a format with the stepping stones laid out and room for a comment next to each one so I just use this.

In addition to these I use a daily retrospective planning sheet on which I record the most significant activities for each day, which areas of learning they covered and perhaps a couple of sentences of evaluation and next steps. I include things like nappy changes and snack times as well as play activities because they are all learning opportunities. I do not record the whole of each day.

I have an exercise book for each under two to record meals, nappy changes, sleeps, etc to send home with the child each day.

I use the fact that I plan retrospectively and follow the children's lead every day to justify how their progress links to my planning. By that I mean that a child will follow their own interests and work at an appropriate developmental level if they are choosing from a wide range of high quality resources and their play is supported by an interested adult (me) who offers ideas for extension and consolidation whilst ensuring that the child retains control.

Hiya Upsydaisy - I know I quizzed you last month (see above) any chance you could send me the proformas you use or where you got them from ? I only have a nine month old /and my own 2yr old to "track" . many thanks for any suggestions - use two forms of daily diary one of which the parents sign which includes LD areas but its what needs to be done next and what forms to use - there are sooo many out there I want a tried and tested one and you sound similar to myself ( compliment honest !!) :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)