Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-school Reading?

Hi,

We are a preschool with 26 children, 18 of whom will go to school in Sept. Two of the 4 staff are Early Years teachers who have a lot of experience of teaching reading.

Of the 18 children about 12 know their sounds and are ready to start blending. Lots of the parents are saying 'She's really interested in reading, she's starting to do it at home with me'.

We really feel like we need to be doing something a bit more structured for these children, maybe buying some simple phonetic reading books and sending them home or having some small focussed group times for these children on reading.

But, I feel that this is frowned upon under the EYFS. We are doing lots of other quality CLL activities and the children have good knowledge of rhyme and story language etc.

I feel as though we have been so busy trying to be child-initiated and working from the children's interests that perhaps we have stopped delivering some of the pre-school bread and butter basics.

What do other people do/think? I am so confused at the moment by the number of things/initiatives we are supposed to include but only having a couple of 10 minute whole group sessions each morning in which to deliver e.g Letters + sounds, P.E, Circle time, Write dance, PSHE, dance, music, Storytime.... etc.

Time for another easter egg....

we had two girls last year who were reading - they were doing it by themselves, reading the words around the room and sounding out the words in the newspapers etc on the table. We used some oxford reading tree books with them and they really enjoyed it. If they'd ever said they didn't want to, then we'd have stepped back

not sure about this, i personally think that there is still so many other things under the eyfs that you could be doing

there are 5 other headings other than CLL and i know and understand that they all merge together

It is about enabling i agree but 12 children ready to read!!

Hi,

Of the 18 children about 12 know their sounds and are ready to start blending. Lots of the parents are saying 'She's really interested in reading, she's starting to do it at home with me'.

Can I ask how many sounds do they know?

We take things a bit slower in our school. Our Reception children only learn the sounds for all the consonants and short vowels, plus simple digraphs (qu-ch-sh-th-ng). They really like 'oo', so that comes as a bonus, as well as any other 'incidental' phonic learning :o. This is because we also work with formal handwriting workbooks (Nelson handwriting blue workbooks #1 - 3 in R and #4 and red ones in G1). We don't want to overload our R children with too much 'formal' work.

For example, I saw a pile of paperwork from a child I will be receiving within 2 weeks and it was all a mess of papers from different sources. He also had the same handwriting workbook as us, but you could see that it had been given to him and no supervision had been taken while he worked on it. What use does that have?

We use many of the L&S activities, together with JP. The children show the knowledge they are acquiring when they try to read things around the setting, going on trips out of school or when they want to write with a purpose, e.g. captions for their drawings or greetings (e.g. 'I love you', 'Get well soon', 'I miss you').

They are very interested in reading and go 'nuts' xD when they can take a reading book home. I sit one-to-one with each one of them to see their real progress and write my notes in their reading booklet. That way the parents know how the child has done at school and can see any recommendations I would write for them at home. I first start with ORT picture books and, once they had enough phoneme sounds, then with ORT Songbirds I am sure you can get them cheaper via Amazon.

Have fun!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)