Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Book Would You Choose?

Hi

After Easter I have a new intake of children starting in F1, 17 children are joining my existing 19. Obviously I don't know the new chidlren that well yet so can't plan from their interests. I thought I would start off the first week by basing the learning around a good picture book before we all sit down and discuss what we want to learn about. I have been racking my brains for a good picture book and keep coming up with the usual suspects; The Gruffalo, We're going on a bear hunt, to name a couple.

So I ask you guys, if you could choose any book to do a mini topic on for a week, what would it be?

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - was my first ever book I used for a theme/display when I trained back in the early 80's and just lends itself so well to all six areas of the curriculum and the children love it ( plus as a non- artist I can draw the illustrations etc when requested :o )

Guest LornaW

The Ding Dong Bag by Polly Peters I have posted it here before but it is all about collecting sounds and noises and being outdoors so it could be perfect.

I know this is perhaps a stupid question but when you say F1 do you mean nursery?

Lorna

The Ding Dong Bag by Polly Peters I have posted it here before but it is all about collecting sounds and noises and being outdoors so it could be perfect.

I know this is perhaps a stupid question but when you say F1 do you mean nursery?

Lorna

My school takes children the term after they are 4, so my F1 children are all 4, some have just turned 4 - those joining after Easter, others started school after Christmas, so have already done a whole term

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - was my first ever book I used for a theme/display when I trained back in the early 80's and just lends itself so well to all six areas of the curriculum and the children love it ( plus as a non- artist I can draw the illustrations etc when requested :o )

Have you seen the 'pop-up' version - beautiful! xD

The Naughty Bus - anyone else come across this yet, I love it!!

Oh I love this story....especially with my older and more able children. It's FAB :o

The Naughty Bus! Took me a while to get on board with this one but now I love it. There's so much you can get out of it and of course the children are always thrilled to see the 'naughty bus' (a small toy bus hidden somewhere high up in the setting) and discover what naughty things he has done each day in the nursery (knocking over construction/leaving paint tyre tracks everywhere/getting himself stuck in a bowl full of jelly to name but a few!)

Of course there's lots of learning opportunities as well. The messy food play, constructing toy town, talking about favourite toys, learning about ponds and pond life and much much more. There's bound to be something to capture the children's imagination!

Edited by Guest

We're Going On A Bear Hunt or You Choose for me, our children love both those books- Bear Hunt they know off by heart so we then moved onto Lion Hunt and You Choose can go anywhere! Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)