Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

dottyp

Just returned from a Careers Evening and almost (yes, almost) decided to take the plunge in September 10

to sign up for the 2 year Foundation Degree Course! I passed my DPP3 in 2001 and have Managed a small village hall

pre-school for 5 years (having been in the same setting for 8 years). I would love to hear from anyone who has taken on or completed the Degree and if they have any advise they can pass on!

thank you. Dottyp x

I did my foundations degree and I have gained so much confidence in my skills and knowlege, I would take the pludge as I feel the children, staff and myself have benifited from the skills and knowledge I have gained. I am currently doing the BA hons in education and the one piece of advice I would give you if you do decied to take the pludge give yourself more time than you think for essays and assignments as they always take longer than you think and you will be like me tonight up before the dead line trying to set a essay finished. good luck in whatever you choose to do x x

Hi Dottyp,

I did the FD in 2007. I had done my level 4 back in 1990 so it was a long time since I had done a long course!!! I was really nervous about doing it and I must admit the first 3-4 months were very hard. However once i got into studying again i started to enjoy it,I gained in confidence and acquirred lots of new skills/knowledge.I wanted a break but now want to do the top up (BA)I say go for it-good luck.

Hi I am currently in the middle of my 2nd year and I would say go for it !!- but be fully aware that it is a big committment of your time. I manage a setting and often struggle to find time to do both but so far have managed to pass all the assignments and keep the setting going. I agree it is a great confidence booster, it reafirms what you already know and didn't realise you knew and its great to share experiences with other practitioners. There is also plenty of help on this forum. There will be times when you want to quit but then the light appears at the end of the tunnel and you are in the

last few weeks of your final year!! Good Luck

I'm in my second year and I would say go for it. You get lots of support and they really are gentle with you (well Worcs Uni are at least).

All your experience will stand you in good stead and you'll be amazed to find out why so many things that you do instinctively are so right. It is fascinating finding out the how and why of children's learning.

Yes it's hard work and sometimes family life has to fit around your assignments but it is soooo worth it.

I am in the second year of my degree and I agree with all thats been said here.

It is hard work.

It is satisfying.

It is a huge time committment.

I also think you need to be clear about why you are doing it............... and when you have a bad day/ week/ month (!!) you can remember why you need to keep going!!!!!!!!

I started on the course so that when legislation changes in 2015 I will have the degree and be able to continue managing the wraparound care our school provides (lunch, private nursery and afterschool club). Without this degree someone would lose their job or the service would fold.

Whilst it has been hard work its been very rewarding and I have learnt alot about the theory behind my own practice.

I have just applied to do my EYPS and if that bit goes OK I will continue on and do the 4 modules that will remain so that I can get a full degree!!

Good luck!

HI I have done it too and thoroughly enjoyed it....managed it whilst managing a nursery and looking after my large family too......it is so inspiring and supports everything you do and gives you confidence to do more.....and the bonus you have this forum to help you...I couldn't of done it without the help of this forum! :oxD

Entirely agree that you should go for it!

Huge commitment in gterms of time and effort but VERY worthwhile.

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)