Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Plods!

Hi I'm trying to revamp our planning at the moment it's very old and hard to understand at times!

a brief guide to what we do!

hold 1/2 termly meetings to plan for next 1/2 term xD ( i want to hold these at least fortnightly) the activities then go on asheet and is put up in the kitchen area for all to see. describes what is in each area, e.g malleable, paint, messy (these are the same for the week)

WE plan have a theme for the whole of that coming half term... needs changing. (6-7 week very bored by the end with same theme/topic)

then we have tried introducing plods.. but its not working at all because of the timescale...and staff are confused about what to do with the information... so needs to be really simple and idiot proof!

so im wanting a easy system which incorparates the child's interests we are not doing that at the minute..

If i do a weekly plan split into seperate day's how do i document each individual child's interests without filling out loads of separate plod sheets?

will it be enough to add certain children's names to the planning sheet and state their interest and the activity aimed at them?

I'm also wanting to add keyperson activities/ would this cover child's interest if they work in/with the keyperson?

Any help would be great i feel like im going round and round in circles, found loads of different plans on here, we have aplanning meeting coming up and would like to go with some form of plan to show the others. (I'm taking over as leader in Sept and she has handed over planning to me to sort!) need to make a good impression... :o

Edited by mk5698

Hi, bumping up!

loads of views but no-one talking!

Have i confussed you all aswell as myself :o

Does anyone else use the PLOD format? and if so how often do you complete them???

Hi Mk. I did catch your post yesterday and saw that none had replied but then I got side tracked! Oops.

There have been a few conversations about PLODS here, have you searched at all? (shout if you're not sure how to do this).

Its really important that what you do is manageable for you and your staff. Its no use having the all singing all dancing plan if noone can use it or it wears everyone out trying.

If I have understood your correctly, I would agree, that planning everything for a half term in advance is too long a period of time because children's interests change so quickly. Ideally it woulds be good if you can plan from week to week. You could have your plan available for the following week for all staff to jot down ideas as they notice children's interests or you could do this in a reflective diary (whatever suits you)

Your continuous provision can be used to show how you have responded to children's interests (you can use initials to indicate which child/ren). You don't need to indicate chapter and verse for every child every week.

In your key person time, you could ask your staff to plan for their own key group, how would they feel about that?

I would look again at the various plans you have got from here or elsewhere, and find an example of continuous provision planning that you like, and use that as your starting point.

Does that help at all?

Hi Mundia, thanks for reply, I've worked at the setting for over 12months, and i'm slowly making changes in my role as deputy, unfortunatly two members of staff, qusetion everything i try to update and plenty has come to light, during my studies (FDEY). We dont have any keyperson time something im trying to bring in, they have a continuos provision sheet but i think it's far too rigid, and doesnt allow for any flexibilty,

I've devised a thoughts/ideas sheet for staff to add to it over the weekend (but will have to be a 2week period) to begin with, and also childrens interests. Which i thought we could then transfer this information onto the week's planning.

We currently do individual Activity plans for every planned activity showing resources/ learning Intentions etc... do we still need to do these?

or

Would it be enough to do a weekly plan and show the intentions/children etc on it problem i have is how to cut down on paper's but increase the actual involvment of the other staff...

Hi Mk,

we have been using PLODS for about a year and have roughly come up with a system we are happy with. Every child has an individual plod which the keyperson is responsible for ( this has gone better with some staff than others). We update PLODS as and when required, it depends on how the childs interests change. We then look for common interests and use this info to enhance provision. We have an Ideas sheets stuck on the wall on which staff write on what they would like to have in the next couple of weeks, and which child/children this relates to. It is the responsibilty of the keyperson to ensure that all of her keychildren are being catered for, either individually or in a group. We also do group PLODS if there are a lot of children interested in something, superheroes interests a lot of boys in our setting, and then we just copy that and put it in the file of everyone that was involved. It was difficult at first to move away from topic planning as it made feel so secure but it is much better this way. If it all goes completely off plan then we fill in our enhancement sheets retrospectively to show what we have done with the children. We have much less paperwork than before but it requires keyworkers to be more pro-active in the planning cycle.

Hope this helps and good luck :o

• Like 1

I think we use them similarly to you Vicky. We also keep a copy of the group ones for the longer term as a starting point for the next time they come up, as these are nearly always recurring play interests like superheroes.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

Moving from Year 6 to become EYFS manager in September. Had lots of training, but missing some key points.

Previous manager was working on producing PLODs to be displayed by each of the areas in our unit, e.g. Home Corner, Small World Area, etc.

Unfortunately the manager has left with the PLODs. Does anyone know where I could find some completed PLODs to be displayed around the classroom?

Thanks

Hi and congratulations on your first post. Are you sure you mean PLODs that are displayed? Ours are specific to individual children. What we DO have displayed are the continuous provision sheets "Whilst I am in the Sand I am ...." with the EYFS statements relevant to sand play listed

Hi and congratulations on your first post. Are you sure you mean PLODs that are displayed? Ours are specific to individual children. What we DO have displayed are the continuous provision sheets "Whilst I am in the Sand I am ...." with the EYFS statements relevant to sand play listed

Hi Cait - I am in the process of drawing up continuous provision sheets (hope to complete during summer holidays!). But mine are not as 'child friendly' as yours sound - would you be willing to share?

Hi Cait - I am in the process of drawing up continuous provision sheets (hope to complete during summer holidays!). But mine are not as 'child friendly' as yours sound - would you be willing to share?

have you looked in the resources section? There are some fantastic ones in there. Happy to share mine, but I'll have to retype, as they were on previous (now deceased) laptop. Just one of the summer holiday jobs

have you looked in the resources section? There are some fantastic ones in there. Happy to share mine, but I'll have to retype, as they were on previous (now deceased) laptop. Just one of the summer holiday jobs

Thanks Cait - will look in resources!

have a look at mind stretchers 3D mind mapping. These are done with the children and produce lines of enquiry, which you can then use to fill in gaps of learning for the children and use it to plan.

we do not have topics and tend to go with childrens interests

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)