Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shared Learning Journal?

Hi,

I have a child who has started this week. She will be coming for 3 hours a week until July. We only have this one slot left and her Mum mistakenly thinks coming to our pre-school for one morning a week will strengthen her school place appeal. Hmmmmm......

I calculate that she will be with us for about 19 half days in total (about 9 full days)

It seems crazy that I have to set up another learning journal for the tiny amount of evidence I am going to get. She already attends another setting for 4 mornings a week and has been doing for a year.

Could I justify keeping some evidence and sending it to the other setting to put into their folder. Surely that truly would be ' settings sharing information'.

Anyone done that?

I know EXACTLY what you mean, it always seems such a huge amount of work for such a short amount of time. I have a child joining us after Easter for one afternoon a week, "To get him ready for big school". (Gee thanks) and I know there will be a lot of paperwork just for this time - to say nothing of the difficulty in finding time on the one afternoon to cram everything in - observation-wise, to ensure we get a good understanding of 'where he is' for his data sheet for school. I can forsee that he will be absent for a minimum of 3 sessions - if this is his first 'exposure' to other children's germs, so that's another problem!

Will the other preschool be happy with that - is it worth contacting them to ask them?

Haven't done that exactly, but we had a little start for the last half term before the summer break last year and we agreed with parents that we wouldn't get the learning journey properly underway until the September but use the few hours she was with us to let her settle in and get to know us all, we took a few photos of her and noted down how she interacted with other children and adults, but that was about all we did.

I would be happy if I were the other setting to do as you suggest.

Guest pamgreen

Sometimes we have to think just what is the child going to get out of one session a week, it takes so long for them to settle its just not fair on them. That is why we say children at our setting can attend for a minimum of two sessions only a week.

Hi

We have about 5 children who just do one afternoon with us and they are due to be leaving soon. Have hardly got any information, obs or photos too! Makes it very difficult especially as it seems to be the same afternoon!!!

Hi we also have in our policies that children must attend more than one session per week as we find the children are more settled and relaxed than only coming once a week.

Does anyone know if we will still be able to state this from September with the new 15 hours "flexible" funding coming into play. We would normally be offering out places at the end of the month but have had no guidance from LEA as to what is expected from us!

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)