Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lessons From Geese

SueFinanceManager

Steve

I have just read my newsletter and watched the video about the geese. If you haven't yet, find it here Geese (All will become perfectly clear when you've watched it.)

It is so inspiring and I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work in creating such a lovely thing :):)

Keep up all the wonderful work Steve

Sue x

Yes, indeed, it is profound and beautiful!

Yesterday we had an Inset Day at school and we were giving thanks for the nice team/community that we have made this year. Then I arrive home and find this. I just had to send it to all of the staff :D ! They liked it very much :o .

Thank, Steve, for this beautiful gift. I had once heard this explanation, but just in a written document. The way you have presented it gives it a different and very special touch. God bless your talent!

Hi all -

Thanks once more for all your comments! I've included the text below to save Mundia's fingers! :)

---------------------------------------

Lessons from Geese.

Fact 1:

As each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift" for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.

Lesson 1:

People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

Fact 2:

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front of it.

Lesson 2:

If we have as much sense as geese, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others

Fact 3:

When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies to the point position.

Lesson 3:

It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each others' skills, capabilities, and unique arrangements of gifts, talents, or resources.

Fact 4: Geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Lesson 4: We need to make sure our 'honking' is encouraging. Where the hearts and souls of individuals are bolstered by the encouragement of their community, both individual and community will benefit. It's all about Quality Honking!

Fact 5: When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help protect it. They stay with it until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another formation or catch up with the flock.

Lesson 5: If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

The Foundation Stage Forum - Quality Honking! (Well actually, this last bit is mine - you don't have to include it... :D )

This lesson is so beautiful that people at our parish asked for the printed version (words), so I have copied them and sent it to the one who prepares our monthly bulletin.

Steve... Do you know who the author is or is s/he unknown?

Thanks again!

Hi Gizzy -

Actually the music is a non-copyrighted sequence of music which we found on the internet and is set to loop every minute or so - I can dig out the sound file if you like, but it's not very long! :)

(Hope that doesn't destroy the magic for you...)