Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Profiles - Chronoloical Or By Area Of Learning?

We are trialling a new format for our profiles at the Playgroup I manage. I am trying to convince my manager that the new approach is valuable.

We are now filing photos and observations chronologically as opposed to by area of learning. I just wanted to know what other people do. We have a date sheet with all the aspects on, and then key people add observation dates.

Surely a learning journey shows how that child develops at whatever rate they are doing it?

I get so confused about splitting children's learning up into different categories. I'm trying to understand how their developmental age differing from their chronological age either way would be an issue. What haven't I thought of?

We tried chronological but it really didn't work for us. Staff were spending far too long trying to identify where each child was in each area of learning. We have gone back to 6 areas. Each ob goes in the most relevant area and any other areas are highlighted in a different colour for each area.

Our photographs go in by date on which they are taken.

So chronological

We have a record at the back that keeps track of how many pieces of evidence we have for each area of learning (and each area is split into its littler areas like dispositions and attitudes, behaviour etc)

When the photograph really does show various areas of learning we note it down alongside the picture or we choose the main area we feel was being seen.

we tried this but fond that we could not clearly see development in each area, and took a while to decide next steps in any area as they were all mixed... ours ended up as areas of development but within that chronological... many do cross over but where necessary cross referenced.

Children had their own scrapbooks as well which they added to and we did add some pictures in which was chronological... this did over time show development -

we tried combining the two but staff again found it very time consuming working out next steps etc..

Inge

I feel that chronological, by date of observation, rather than splitting observations into areas as children are learning and developing holistically. As mentioned by others, also easier for parents to see where child currently is.

Ours are a bit of both - beginning with photos, notes etc stuck in in the order they occur.

Then we review the evidence at least half termly (though in practice it works better if you do it as you go along!) and briefly summarise / list what has happened in relation to each area on 6 seperate sheets THEN we can see where the child is at, any patterns and what next steps could be.

I go by the areas because I can have sen children aged from 2 up to 7 and could have them with me for 4 years. It helps me to see I have evidence balanced across the six areas. It helps when SMT or somene less familiar to the EYFS ask to look at them. However i do annotate the other areas on each sheet, and file them best fit.

I think you have to do what is right for you but can see a case for chronological. Our early years advisors say its best to file by date order but understand why I do them the way i do.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)