Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Appraisals

Hi,

We are a new setting and I need to do appraisals. What time of year do most folks do them? I was going to do them in January but last term just seems to have disappeared with all the snow closures.

I am worried about one of them. We are a committee setting and I was interviewed by 2 members of the committee one of whom then became a member of staff ( I later interviewed her). I always feel there is an imbalance as she is as equally qualified as me and was quite instrumental in setting the pre-school up. I think initially she would have liked to do the leader role but realised her family commitments were too great at the moment.

She is quite 'strong' in team meetings and I am just not sure quite what I can say to her in appraisal apart from 'great to have you on the team' etc. !

She is still on the committee (out constitution allows this) so I feel like I am appraising my employer!

Edited by Edlee

Hmm the idea of her being on the committee too does make it quite tricky, but that aside I think I am probably a similar personality to that described! If I came up against someone else like that I would probably try to involve her in some kind of project, something with meaning but which might others=wise take up lots of your time. SEF springs to mind or developing some other aspect of your provision which you really want to have in place but keeps getting put to the back of the queue.

I think what I'm trying to say is utilise her enthusiasm without passing everything over to her that is part of your role. With regards to when - we usually do ours at the end of the school year ready for the coming September, not that there is any more time then either!

Hi

I did ours in January, beginning of the year seems as good a time as any. If you type 'appraisals' into the 'search forum posts' you will find some information showing what other settings have done.

I guess it will be what suits you best.

we did ours in July... this gave us time to decide on any training required before the training directory from LEA came out in Sept.

also any pay review was done in July for September.. in our case made it easier to fall at same time as our financial end of year.

as to appraising a committee member, she is still a member of staff and as this should have her appraisal same as everyone else... we always gave them a list to self reflect on before and to bring wiht them for discussion... this made things easier as there were discussion points to follow...

Inge

Hi

Do you use a self appraisal form. There are some good templates for this already on here. This would allow her to complete the form for you to mull over before the actual meeting. I do agree with inge that you should treat her as any other employee.

Although at the end of the day isn't it the committee chair that should be doing appraisals......my old chair did one for me before. You could ask if you feel ackward.

My staff sometimes want to set all the boundaries, but I know that they would never want to commit to the amount of work that I do.

we do our appraisals in july - as we then review the years work by staff - as a leader my appraisal is done by my chair -although she doesnt really know what my job involves - i do the the rest of the staff appraisals as i work with them and know what they should be doing / are doing etc