Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health Promotion Pack

Due to only meeting once a week at uni, and due to circumstances such as missing weeks, family commitments etc. I thought this would be an effective way of communicating with one another, sharing ideas, information etc. and ensuring that we are communicating and working well as a team.

For all visitors, please feel more than welcome! to contribute ideas. We are undertaking an early years degree, and as part of that, have to produce a health promotion pack.

Useful research:

http://www.healthyeyes.org.uk/index.php?id=122

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/2070644.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle1128194.ece

http://www.vision2020uk.org.uk/core_files/...0Opt%202004.pdf

http://www.ohioamblyoperegistry.com/_borde...er%202--web.pdf

http://www.responsesource.com/releases/rel...php?relid=43310

haven't found many journals, but think I'm looking in the wrong places, haven't got my head around athens yet!

After reading some of the research, it would seem that parents need to take an active role in accessing the free sight tests that are available for children under school age. Currently screening is available in school aged children, but not in all areas as far as i can gather from what i have read so far. Some children are nearly five by the time they are screened, concidering the eye is fully developed at the age of seven/eight - is this too late?

Opticians such as vision express have a good section on children's eye tests, and the last website listed is an initiative - optician launches mother and toddler week. I think the fact that opticians support early eye tests, and they are experts on eyes after all, as well as the amount of visual learning that takes place in the early years, and we know that the early years is a crucial stage for determining future learning ability, is plenty of support for our theme?

Taking into account the discussion we had on friday, it may be an idea to produce a pack aimed at raising the status of eye health and be aimed at early years practitioners. Because the close contact we have with parents, and 'parent's as partners' by marketting towards children, the take up on booking an eye test for their child may increase. e.g. If the nursery was holding a topic on opticians/eye care, they could encourage parents to take their child for a sight test, so that they are able to relate to the role play. A leaflet could also be given out to parents at this stage.

A little bit based on the bookstart treasure chests, although the principle audience is parents (to share with child), they are given out through pre-schools, and encouraged for them to be part of a focus on books and sharing stories.

Resources ideas

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/thumbs326-330/sb327prev.html

Topic pack containing: activity booklet, fiction and non-fiction books, poster, role play props such as those in the above, parent letters/leaflets, perhaps a dvd of a child visiting the optician to support, reassure children who may be visiting the optician / who will not be visiting the optician - you can't make parents after all!, links to resources - books, dolls, optician companies who support and offer eye tests in young children.

Sorry, my brains been working overload - think I'm going to enjoy this module.

p.s. I shall be booking my 4 year old in for an eye test. Any questions that anyone wants me to ask the optician - just let me know.

Sorry to butt in to everyones weekend!!

Take Care,

Michelle. x

Due to only meeting once a week at uni, and due to circumstances such as missing weeks, family commitments etc. I thought this would be an effective way of communicating with one another, sharing ideas, information etc. and ensuring that we are communicating and working well as a team.

For all visitors, please feel more than welcome! to contribute ideas. We are undertaking an early years degree, and as part of that, have to produce a health promotion pack.

I have successfully registered and am having a go at communicting. Not sure what I am doing. Hope to go into opticians tomoorow to find out how they test children's eyes who cannot read. Other than that haven't done much put will start to research children with impaired vision.

Idea for Story Sack

Bumposaurus

Contents,

Fiction Book - Bumposaurus,

Non-Fiction Book - At the Opticians

Non-Fiction Book - Healthy Eyes

Audio CD

Game - Dotty Dinosaurs - could be adapted to have coloured texture pieces rather than colour for the colour game - raised outline for the shape game.

Could be an option to include 'fuzzy' glasses (tissue/tracing paper) or blindfolds so that there is an option to use these with the game.

Could also draw glasses on a couple of the dinosaurs.

Couple of soft toy dinosaurs, preferable same colour as dinosaurs of of the story, small glasses to fit.

The reasoning behind this in child's terms. peoples eyes are all different and some people need glasses so that they can see things clearer. Sometimes people's eyes don't work at all and have to use their other senses.

Link for Bumposaurus - John Barrowman on the bedtime hour

Edited by Guest

I have successfully registered and am having a go at communicting. Not sure what I am doing. Hope to go into opticians tomoorow to find out how they test children's eyes who cannot read. Other than that haven't done much put will start to research children with impaired vision.

Having just taken my five year old for an eye test I can tell you they struggled to carry one out. All the letters are capitals so whilst he can recognise lower case (mostly) upper case - no chance! The optician sounded shocked that he could not read! What a twit, he also spoke to him as though he were an adult using words that just went right over his head so I ended up interpreting.

I was very unhappy with the test so took him to another opticians - where they had a see through perspex square and he had to match the letters and the optician could see what he was pointing to. But still in Upper Case. The optician talked to him in words he could understand and chatted to him asking him relevant questions he could understand. SHE also explained what she was doing before she did it and why.

With a son who has serious sight problems I cannot emphasise enough the need to have childrens eye's

tested as early as possible. My son's problems were not discovered until year 1 so he was already 5 and

too old to really benefit from 'patching'. We are now 6 years down the line and about to undergo the trauma

of surgery on both eyes at the same time. I don't know whether things would have turned out differently if

we had discovered the problems earlier but he would certainly have had a better chance. Please push all parents

to have their children's eye's tested as early as possible.

I have got a few leaflets from specsavers today and had a little chat with one of the staff but she was a bit rubbish!! I have started work on the leaflet. if i get it done in good time i will let you all know.in case there is anything else i can do!!

xxx

Hello ladies!

Glad we sorted out our roles on Friday. I've been working on the video and poster today so should hopefully get them finished for Friday. Hope your all getting on OK? Enjoy the snow this week! xxx

Welcome to the Forum Tiffy - congratulations on making your first post.

Ladies I hope you will have a look around the wider Forum areas and get involved in some of the other conversations going on - I'm sure you have lots to offer!

Maz

Hi All,

Made a leaflet to go in the storysack, which I have re-named StoryBox!! not very inventive I know but what else do you call a box of story/books/props!!

I'm planning on asked a few of my parents who speak other languages to read the book aloud whilst I record so there are versions of other languages also on the CD.

I'll make a start on the rationale tomorrow - oh joy!! I'll plan to finish and get it e-mailled across to everyone on Thurs, so if anyone has a spare 10 mins to proof-read, that would be wonderful.

If anyone has come across any journals that may be of use, could you put the title on here so I can get plenty of references in, thanks.

Hello from me as well. This is an interesting module you are doing and something practitioners on the forum seem to have some experience of one way or another. I was just wondering if you are all from the same LA or are you from different ones and meet up at Uni?

I have had a go at finding some journals, but the ones i did find. the university did not have them so got very confussed! the leaflet is almost done i have got it in black and white and just need a picture for the front. my dad printed it off for me so it was printed on both sides and did not have any colour ink!! so im on a mission!!

xxx

Hey, the story box sounds great! Like the idea of having different languages on CD. Ive got tomorrow off work so i will try to look for journals for the rationale-damn things are a nightmare!

If possible can someone bring their laptop on Friday-I just want to make sure I have saved the slide show properly so it plays.

Thaaaanks xxx

I am a bit confussed keep trying to communicate but it's not working . Trying again. A good site for ref is Another good site is http://vision.about.com/od/childrensvision...ion_develop.htm

and http://www.childrensvision.com/ Sue

I have bought some crazy glasses for the game and am working on the game. If you want to email anything to me to print out sophie my printer can print out in leaflet style. Bought some safety mirrors to go in the pack so the children can look at themselves as they try on the glasses. Sue

I'll bring my laptop in tomorrow Tiff.

I can't stay too long tomorrow ladies as I've got a parent in at nursery at 5.30 who is going to record the audio in chinese, so gotta go back into work.

Haven't done an awful lot on my storybox but will bring what i've got.

Just finishing off the reference list for the rationale tonight.

Have made some Fact Cards (a resource to make available to parents) so far I've included:

Did you know....................

1 in 5 children have an undetected eye problem

Eye tests in schools are no longer mandatory and are becoming increasingly rare

80% of what children learn is through vision

Under 16's are entitled to a free eye test on the NHS

Your child doesn't need to be able to recognise letters or numbers to have an eye test

Untreated eye problems in childhood could affect their future career choices

Poor vision may affect your child's behaviour at school

Most high street opticians offer eye tests to young children.

Any other facts that anyone can think of, let me know, sure i saw something along the lines of 1 in 20? boys are colourblind but cant figure out where I got this from

Just to recap from Friday and to inform Sophie and Carla.

In the presentation, each person is to present their resource. Need to sort out by next friday what it is they are going to say, also if anyone can think of any questions to give to the others to ask us.

Untreated eye problems in childhood could affect their future career choices

This is really interesting and a very powerful thing to tell parents about the importance of eye tests - I'd like to read the research that supports this fact. Can you tell us where it comes from, miche11e?

Maz

Hello, i have has a bit of a brain wave, but feel it may be a bit late to include it?? was thinking about a group logo to add?? we could wear them as badges for out presentation?? what you think?? any good name ideas? could also design a small one and just add it to posters, leafet etc? x

Hi maz, and sorry that no-one has replied to your welcomes, all very busy with the pack!!, The research comes from the journal link - vision 20 website in the first post. It states that untreated eye problems may affect children to access jobs that require 20/20 vision such as pilots. If conditions are treated during an early age then children have a much better chance of achieving their full visual potential.

Thanks again for welcoming us so warmly to the forum, and thanks to everyone else that has also added to the thread, your comments have been very useful.

Sophie the logo sound like a great idea, I've printed out a couple of things but would be easy to stick a label on them.

See what everyone else thinks.

Hi

I have made a leaflet about colour blindness or should I say colour vision deficiency. Have added more things to the role play pack. I have palyed the game I made at preschool and the children loved trying on the glasses. I think you might need more glasses if you are playing with more then two children but otherwise worked well so have written the rules.

What about the presentation? who will do what? Are we going to describe difeerent parts of the pack we have made and why? How will we write the log which has to be included in the pack.? Iam able tostay late on Friday or come early.

Sue

Hi maz, and sorry that no-one has replied to your welcomes, all very busy with the pack!!, The research comes from the journal link - vision 20 website in the first post. It states that untreated eye problems may affect children to access jobs that require 20/20 vision such as pilots. If conditions are treated during an early age then children have a much better chance of achieving their full visual potential.

Thanks again for welcoming us so warmly to the forum, and thanks to everyone else that has also added to the thread, your comments have been very useful.

Sophie the logo sound like a great idea, I've printed out a couple of things but would be easy to stick a label on them.

See what everyone else thinks.

Hi Sophie Logo sounds a good idea

Sue

I can stay late(ish) tomorrow!! Think maybe put the presentation together tomorrow so we're all prepared (as we can be)

I've had a play around with the rationale and am hoping it's ok, didn't manage to get colour blindness in there though with the word count, tried taking bits out but then it started to look patchy! if any1 wants to have a play around with it, feel free, I'll e-mail it out to every1 again now. Haven't finished the leaflet reference cos I'm not sure how to do it yet!!

Got resources finished and printed so will bring along tomorrow.

This does sound a really interesting module, it would be nice to see the finished article. One point however, its a shame nobody is interacting with anyone on this thread not connected to your course though, which comes across as a bit rude, appreciate you are all really busy students, as I am myself, however you might find other views will come in handy as your course progresses.

Goodluck, hope your presentation goes well.

This does sound a really interesting module, it would be nice to see the finished article. One point however, its a shame nobody is interacting with anyone on this thread not connected to your course though, which comes across as a bit rude, appreciate you are all really busy students, as I am myself, however you might find other views will come in handy as your course progresses.

Goodluck, hope your presentation goes well.

Hi cupcake, thank you for your comments, we are all really enjoying the module, we are presenting the pack next friday and I, myself will add my bits on as attachments so that anyone interested can see the resources after the presentation. (although they are on mac programs but you can get free trials for the programs!)

I appreciate that the lack of communication with other members has come across a bit rude, albeit not intentionally. I think that most new members perhaps spend a little time looking around the forum, adding posts to others' threads and finding out about the site, rather than setting up a thread straight away. We have all joined for the purpose of improving communication within our group to try and improve factors that hinder working as a team, based on a suggestion from a colleague.

We have enjoyed having peoples views about the topic, and welcomes within the thread, although didn't want to get carried away on a tangent within the thread, as we are hoping to use a print out of our communication with one another to cover the 'teamwork' aspect within the assignment.

I also hope the thread is of use to anyone doing a similar module, and I think this is why the thread was moved from 'general coffeehouse chat' to 'training'

Having had a chance to look around the forum, I see it is a close community, and look forward to posting replies to other threads and becoming part of that community.

Thanks for the luck - I think we might need a little!!

P.s. We are studying at Northampton University

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)