Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Swine Flu Vacination

Can I ask what is your policy on the new swine flu vacinations?

Current our policy for vacination is to exclude a child for 24 hrs after vacination. (This has been due to very ill children still coming in to us and also bad reactions to vacinations)

We stand by the rule that we believe children that are unwell should be kept at home so to ensure they are not spreading unwanted illness, whoever we understand that colds are always around and we don't count that type of illness. we have had unwell children who all they need is parental care, I am sure many of you know where I am coming from! We have our policy for the protection of children and staff etc.

Doctors have said children are likely to be unwell and have aches in their arms?????Doctors in our experience appear to say just send the children back to pre-school no matter what! we have even had it with Sick ness and upset tummies xD

There is a Flu Drive on at one of our local surgeries

My fear is having a huge bulk of unwell children and not enough staff to care for them in the way they need! This is just not fair on the children or the staff

Also are you recording they have had this vacination in their records?

Hoping to hear you views, personaly we are not against vacination but are against children who are not fit for learning and fun joining us and having a bad pre-school experience :o

Sue

I understand where you are coming from with this! Luckily, all our flu injections have been on Fridays so they are home anyway on the Saturday.

I hate it when Mums ask for advice on whether they should 'make' their child have the injection though. All I've said is that the decision is theirs and I can't possibly advise them what to do - but they can get quite insistent!

We have been asked what we would do but like you say Its parental choice I do have some Mums say NO WAY and I understand but also there having it! and I understand that .

all I know is NO WAY will I have it personally because I am a baby with injections and have no health issues apart from maybe mental health :oxD I have also been with children for over 20 years and feel I jave built up a good imumity :( Hopefully!!!

My G.P is trying to persuade me to have it because of my childminding xD In his opinion it's beneficial to me so I don't pick it up from the babies and toddlers I mind and it would reduce the risk of me infecting them :o

Like you, I'm not too keen. It didn't help that he was giving me my booster jab for Diptheria, Tetanus and Polio when he suggested it!

I'm still "considering" it!

Nona

Well I was meant to be called, because as an asthmatic I'm supposedly on the register. I didn't get a call for my seasonal flu jab and I've not had a call for this, so my name's obviously fallen down the back of the filing cabinet somewhere! I called at my GP's when the seasonal ones were being done to ask why I'd not been called, and she said she's make sure I was put on the list. I couldn't have it there and then, I'd have to come back the next day 1 - 3pm (hmm, I'm at Preschool).

Since then of course, my GP surgery has been flooded to the rafters by the River Derwent in Cockermouth, so ........

I believe that the swine flu jab is different from others because it does not actully give the virus it is protecting you from like some others. None of our kids have had a reaction and my own 2 year old was fine after wards apart from a bit of a sore arm

Hi,

I just have a quick swine flu related question. I am working as a nanny and am taking the 3year old for her jab next Friday. This is a whole new experiance for me and I just wondered how I approach it. Do I tell her where we are going? Do I tell her it will hurt? Do you normally have to physically hold down the child? Or do I just try and avoid any questions, I do know I don't want to lie about anything but should I just try to ignore any questions. And she will ask questions, she asks questions about everything!!!

Also I was under the impression that the swine flu jab wasn't live so children should get no side effects.

Thanks for any advice x x

Hi,

I just have a quick swine flu related question. I am working as a nanny and am taking the 3year old for her jab next Friday. This is a whole new experiance for me and I just wondered how I approach it. Do I tell her where we are going? Do I tell her it will hurt? Do you normally have to physically hold down the child? Or do I just try and avoid any questions, I do know I don't want to lie about anything but should I just try to ignore any questions. And she will ask questions, she asks questions about everything!!!

Also I was under the impression that the swine flu jab wasn't live so children should get no side effects.

Thanks for any advice x x

Only you know the child well enough to know if you tell her where she is going.. for my own times it was better to say as you set out where you are going.

If they ask if it will hurt it is better to say yes but it will not last very long than for them to find out - we always told the children when I was nursing.. not to tell they lose trust in you.

as to physically holding.. this really is dependent on child and surgery etc.. sometimes yes it does happen, we used to sit child on carers lap and they held them close with a hug.. but at other times it was a pin down scenario... it is very different for all..

I used to deflect questions until setting out.. but this is one to work with the parents... find out what they have told her, and follow through with this..

Inge

as to physically holding.. this really is dependent on child and surgery etc.. sometimes yes it does happen, we used to sit child on carers lap and they held them close with a hug.. but at other times it was a pin down scenario... it is very different for all..

I remember when Mrs Weasley had her pre-school booster I didn't hold her tightly enough and she was so outraged that she actually grabbed the syringe out of the nurse's hand and took it out of her arm! Fortunately the nurse was very experienced and had delivered all of the syringe's contents before Mrs Weasley got to it.

She still doesn't like injections very much! :o

Maz