Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted - Staff Training...

Hello

I've been asked to do a staff training session as a top up for all members of staff - we know Ofsted wil be coming sometime before Easter so think staff wanted a refresher!!

So have been looking through some recent ofsted reports from local settings to get an idea of what they are "keen" on at the moment, but thought it would be helpful if anyone has had a recent inspection to find out what sort of questions they have asked? what they have been looking at in alot of detail etc?

Many thanks

had ofsted early december (good)..........definately safeguarding, risk assessing, how planning links to every childs next steps....................but to be honest think it depends on inspector you happen to get, if you check reports from same inspectors they seem to have similiar recommendations ( if worded slightly differently )for the settings they've inspected.

Hi, I'm not meaning to be negative but I feel you should base your staff training on what your staff and your setting really needs, rather than on concerns about what Ofsted are hot on. I know how tempting it is to worry about the inspectors (we're also due an Ofsted very soon) but if I was inspector what I'd want to see is a setting focusing on the priorities for improvement listed in the SEF. Otherwise you're just playing a guessing game really.

(Of course if you're like us the list of priorities is endless and would include all those things anyway!)

there is a very good article on here have you seen it?

Andrea

No I haven't seen it, I had a half hearted search before I posted this message - but can you post a link? or tell me where to find it? thanks

Hi, I'm not meaning to be negative but I feel you should base your staff training on what your staff and your setting really needs, rather than on concerns about what Ofsted are hot on. I know how tempting it is to worry about the inspectors (we're also due an Ofsted very soon) but if I was inspector what I'd want to see is a setting focusing on the priorities for improvement listed in the SEF. Otherwise you're just playing a guessing game really.

(Of course if you're like us the list of priorities is endless and would include all those things anyway!)

Your not being negative at all - that exactly what we should be doing. I'm actually on maternity leave so haven't spoken to the staff in much detail but think they all are abit nervous about ofsted (we have a new leader covering for me and all other staff quite new to setting) so I thought if I could go in armed with some possible bits ofsted may focus on, it may give them a bit of confidence! but am also going to do a sort of general training on anything they want!

thanks

No I haven't seen it, I had a half hearted search before I posted this message - but can you post a link? or tell me where to find it? thanks

I'ts on the Home page, an article very informative reading, I too have been doing a similar thing.

good luck with the future inspection

Hi Darlinbud,

I took it upon myself :o to read over a hundred Ofsted reports, from November through to last week, and put together four articles using the recommendations and statements from those reports. The first two are up on the site in the members' articles sections, or you can click through to the first one here, looking at the Unique Child, and the second one here looking at Positive Relationships. The next two should be up here shortly; hope they help xD

I have come to the forum for some light relief after Ofsted arriving today and coming back tomorrow!

I am sure it has been said already but safeguarding is top priority and really in depth questioning and requests to see all associated paperwork (all CRB records were thoroughly checked) , risk assessments were a close second. Needed to see staff interview process and records of references received for current staff - telephone references not deemed suitable.

I totally agree that any training should be sought as a result of identifying the training needs of all staff and not on the basis of what OFSTED want to see or what their current hot topics are. Staff qualifications and training records were checked and beyond that right now I can't think straight!!!!!!

Oh and by the way our inspector read our online SEF last night and yes I could access it so the idea of them being frozen prior to inspection is a bit hit and miss!,

Ooh - saw this thread and made me laugh - simply because we arranged a staff training 'refresher' evening a couple of weeks ago in prep for the OFSTED visit we knew was due and on the very morning of the meeting date 'Mrs O' arrived!

No meeting then - but achieved an Outstanding - so are going out for a celebratory meal instead.

Hi Darlinbud,

I took it upon myself xD to read over a hundred Ofsted reports, from November through to last week, and put together four articles using the recommendations and statements from those reports. The first two are up on the site in the members' articles sections, or you can click through to the first one here, looking at the Unique Child, and the second one here looking at Positive Relationships. The next two should be up here shortly; hope they help :(

Gosh! Helen, I bet you don't want to see another OFSTED Report again for a long, long time...........or ever! :o

Thank you so much.......your hard work is much appreciated. The articles are very interesting and I have brought them into work for my manager to see (she is very grateful too!!).

All of these useful staff meetings should be logged and referenced into your SEF as knowing you have got gaps but that you are addressing them could be the difference between 2 outcome judgements. If an Inspector thinks they've found something that you're not aware of they'll be less than impressed ... if however, they see that you have identified areas for improvement and actioned planned for it you will be judged favourably in the section about your ability to self evaluate.

Good Luck

pw x

We had a really useful staff meeting where we took apart our old Ofsted (Satisfactory) and went through it with a fine tooth comb making sure that the things we were praised for were still happening and making sure that every little niggle / issue / moan that had been highlighted was addressed. We wrote all the things that needed addressing onto our action plan and wrote up all the improvements we had made onto the SEF with the points for action still to come detailed underneath. ... inspector loved our SEF gave us Outstanding hurrah!!

pw x

Well done for the outstanding!

I am constantly adding lists of 'things to do' to our SEF, it is starting to look like a shopping list rather than something that anyone would want to read, but who cares, at least I am recording all the great stuff we are doing. In fact I suspect I'm recording some things in two categories :o