Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hmi Visit - What Would You Do

Ok need your help - have so many ideas in my head cant think which is best. On tuesday we are having a school HMI visit - he will only be in my class for 20 mins near the start of the day. We are currently doing traditional stories as the children are loving them and loving being story writers! My question is what would you have them doing when he comes in. did think that our whole class time could be circle time "what would you do if you were goldilocks and found the bears cottage?" But he will come in as this is wrapping up so what would be a good adult led activity to follow on from this? Or do I do something completely different? We have set up a bears cottage role play area which they will be writing labels etc for on Monday and we will be supporting play in there as necessary to help them on Monday. Where should I go from there - if anyone has any fab ideas I would be ever so grateful for them! ems x :o

I would do what you would normally do at that time. My experience of HMI is that they are very knowledgeable, experienced, creative and intelligent people who want to see things as they are usually, they look at your relationship with the children and understanding of the way children learn.

Is this a monitoring visit because you are in category? - then they would be focusing on your key issues

If it's a subject monitoring visit then they'll be focused on whatever subject they are viewing but as JacquieL says - do what you would normally be doing! HMI can spot a "special lesson" a mile off!!

CX

we had HMI in on Monday and all went well, she only pointed out the bits we already knew about! When she came in we had finished our whole class activity and were doing child intiated and group work. she was fine with this - she commented on the levels of independence of the chidlren and the relationships between the children and adutls. she wasn't interested in looking at the assessment or planning and the negative parts of her feedback were really nit picky!

I hope this helps - we have another HMI in a few weeks looking at maths!!!

Good group writing activity I did with my children which they enjoyed was writing a letter to Baby Bear as if they were Goldilocks to say sorry for going in the house and breaking the chair etc. Good luck! I wouldn't worry about the seeing your carpet session, when ofsted observed me last term she came in after the carpet session and saw child initiated learning and a group activity and I think this is more what they want to see. K x

thanks for all your replies - I think I was just having a moment of mad panic and when I thought about it again I realised you were all right and I just needed to keep doing what I normally did and I was really pleased with how it went - thank fully so was the HMI and our head teacher!! I had one of those moments whilst they were there when I stood back and watched what was happening and was pleased with what I saw - and he said our provision was good etc so am pleased!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)