Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Female Community Helpers?

Hi everyone!

Our Early Years classrooms are being painted with a topic. The one of 2-3 years old is Winnie the Pooh, the one of 3-4 (Nursery) is The Jungle Book and mine (4-5 Reception) will be done this next Summer.

I thought the theme of Community Helpers would be nice, since the are learning to be more helpful and responsible... but the only cartoon TV-program characters that I find are all male: Fireman Sam, Postman Pat and Bob the Builder. Does anyone know of a female cartoon character?

I also thought of the Tweenies, but I am not sure.

All ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by SmileyPR

Do you need cartoon characters??

I would be inclined to develop some characters with your children, then you can reflect your philosophy, whilst enabling the children to be part of the process and give them ownership of their setting?

What does anyone else think??

Sue :D

Sure :) , I was also thinking of asking them... but one also has to take in consideration that they are there only one academic year and then another group of children will come, so I was wondering what could be a 'constant' interesting theme through out the years. Anyway, I will ask the children tomorrow. More ideas?

There is a nice series of Ladybird Books called "Little Workmates". Each character has their own book and there are lots of female characters - Teacher Tina, Doctor Daisy, Vet Vicky, PC Polly and Nurse Nancy. Can't think of any cartoon characters though.

MM! A difficult one. If it is going to be a permanent decoration have you any idea how long you will have to 'live with it'

Just wondered if there may be a slight problem with current cartoon tv characters in whether or not they will 'go out of date' or not be the trend if you know what I mean. xD

Winnie the Pooh and the Jungle book are almost timeless classics.

Lucky you having such a lovely choice to make - though difficult.

I would fancy Noahs Ark! all the variety of the animals, lovely bright colours and sure all children could relate to them in some way and it's not biased gender wise but then it has nothing to do with community helpers!!!! :(

Will try and think some more!! :o

Do hope when it is all done you will post a pic for us to see :D

:o Hey, not bad idea!

Oh, today I saw the result of the Nursery class... I liked one side, but not the rest. I found the colours 'old' and not in a surrounding sensation, like in the younger ones. Even the cupboards were with such 'old' colours... not pastel, nor bright. I somehow felt the classroom a bit dark, opaque and also crowdie because of the painting, not the cupboards. I am not sure I will end up liking the idea xD

Thanks for all your ideas. Indeed I should take in consideration classicals more than cartoons that can disappear.

Have a nice week :-)

A word of warning. The DN in which I work has some very permanent wall decorations, put there when it opened, 10 years ago. Although they were probably lovely (lots of 3D elements) at the time, they are now looking old and - err....tired. They feature subjects such as Hickory Dickory and Humpty Dumpty, Alice in Wonderland, Jungle Book and Wind in the Willows.

I would suggest that you try to hold out for something 'replaceable', after a few years, as, even though the interest may still be there (not sure it is with last three I quoted) the style may be dated.

Just a thought

:o What do you mean by replaceable?

The fact is that it is not a decision from my part, but from the administration.

Since those younger years classrooms were done, mine 'has to be done' as well. Surely enough, I think they might be open to other good (yet similar) suggestions.

Thanks for your help :)

Well, really all I meant was that you might be able to ask for something newer in a few years. Probably not on, we're stuck with ours, but the space would be so much better filled with what the children are doing now How long is the re-decoration hoped to last?

Our DN is repainted about every 3 years, but these things I don't particularly like are mounted structures which would release so much display space!!

Sue :o

That is what I felt today... that somehow the permanent painting will somehow overload the classroom, even overtaking whatever new topics we would be sharing about. Imagine an undersea paint all around the classroom while the children are working around Harvest! I find it doesn't match :o . That painted theme will be there for LOTS of years.

Oh, dear!

To be honest, I can't think of anything that won't jar with something!!

Unles you have a K/U/W type theme?? Mini beasts, dinosaurs, birds, butterflies.... follow me here, find your own??? If it's no good, shoot me down!! :o

These year's topics are:

Ourselves

Harvest

Festivals

Christmas

Bears

People who help us

New Life (included Minibeasts)

The zoo

The sea

In the air

There is the possibility that next year the 3 EY groups will work out topics in common or something like that... so that is to see.

Oh... and by the way... :D surely enought that I will not shoot you down! You have tried to help me so much! Thanks again :) !

Edited by SmileyPR

How about going for something really simple like an outdoor view with grass, sky, clouds and a tree which has no leaves on. Then depending on the time of year you could get the children to make leaves or blossom to put on it. I made a very large tree at the back of our hall and at the moment it has a few orangey/brown leaves hanging on it and then piles of leaves underneath with the hedgehogs we made last autumn poking out underneath. There is also a snow drift in the corner but we really haven't had much snow this year. :o

Hey... that is nice! I can even imagine where it would be (the tree)... on the Reading Corner! It would make it cosier. I did something similar years ago, but in a smaller scale. The children loved to see how the leaves would change. Thanks for the idea :D !

We did the same as Beau, our tree is huge changes with the seasons and covers a wall . the other walls were decorated in outdoor type colours to which we add our own childrens work and this is regularly changed.

to have pictures painted on the walls sounds great but it could easily become quickly dated ... its the childrens work we should be proud of and display well .... sounds like you have some input but seems most of the decision has been made

Inge

That is what I want, the children's work as a focus :D . I have a good feeling that the idea of something more natural and light will make the classroom look bigger and extented to outside, to nature. Whenever it is done, I will let you all know how it came out. Okay :o .

Thanks, Inge :) for your input.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)