Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am I Over Reacting?

I'm really p****d off about something, but I wonder if I'm being too dramatic and over reacting?

I've previously explained to staff/fund raising committee that I think it's really unprofessional to do fund raising events in session time. They had a meeting last night (while I was at an outdoor learning meeting in my own b****y free time) and basically just went ahead and did it anyway.

I've asked my leader what she thinks, as I feel it should be her decision, but she doesn't have a strong opinion either way. I guess it puts her on the spot, because she doesn't want to upset anyone, especially those who fund raise. But given all I've done for the setting as Chair I was disappointed that she wouldn't put her foot down on this one thing.

I can see her point of view, that she has to focus on the day to day running of the setting, but then again I think this is about the day to day running, in that we are basically cancelling a session and still accepting the grant. What is doubly annoying is that I have to work on the day they've chosen, and obviously I now don't have childcare.

I have to admit that I feel like saying s*d the lot of you and quitting. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

No I don't think you are over reacting...for one they should be considering your opinion on this matter, the amount of work you do for the setting is over and above (we can all see that with our posts you are a committeed Chair). But also if it is something that has been raised before and queried by you for the reasons you state then it is somewhat questionable that this decision was made when you were at a course :o and I agree, the manager should see the wood through the trees and be more supportive of the suggestion of unprofessionalism that you mentioned before....and damn well support you.....I am a manager and if my chair was not present at a meeting where a decision was being made that I knew they would be hesitant about I would defer the decision until we could discuss it with more depth....I don't know you, don't know your setting and staff but I know you put a lot of time into making the setting the best it can be and I can understand how this has really got to you...sympathy coming me.... xD:(

Edited by Guest

I'm really p****d off about something, but I wonder if I'm being too dramatic and over reacting?

No, if you feel strongly that it shouldn't be happening in session time, then you're not over reacting. Who is the registered person, and therefore who would be responsible for alerting Ofsted were something to happen during one of these events? If that is you then you have every right to put your foot down with a firm hand and just tell them they can't do it (assuming you have the power to do that as Chair).

What is the view of the rest of the committee? Would they support you in putting your foot down? Are they happy for things to carry on as they are, or do they want this to change but lack the courage? If the committee won't support you then I'm not sure you can insist that your wishes be carried out. Having said that, I don't understand the whole committee thing!

And if you have the power and the backing to stop this happening, a personal question: what would upset you more - letting them do the fundraiser in term time even though it goes against what you believe (and you know that they are aware of your views but have ignored them), or sticking your neck out and risking unpopularity to prevent it happening?

Whatever you decide, I can understand how you feel, and how fed up you are. It can be hard to put this kind of thing behind you, but I hope you can resolve it and carry on. Your pre-school needs you, even if they don't appreciate it!

Maz

Just had a call from my Leader. I misinterpreted her email. Phew, I was really disappointed there but thankfully she is actually backing me up about not doing it in session time and will speak to fund raising committee tomorrow.

Good point about the responsible person and yep that is me so it would be my responsibility.

Thanks all for the support, my blood has just about stopped boiling now! :o Amazing how passionate you can get about these things.

Suzie, I cannot see why fundraising would be done in place of providing the service your setting is in existence to provide. What about those parents who work and need your childcare.

Hope this gets sorted very soon.

Could the fundraising you do during the term be confined to a raffle over the wek, or a guess the sweets in the jar type thing? Your sessions will still run, you'll raise money and it wont get in teh way.

I agree entirely though that the committee shouldnt have gone ahead and you're right to feel annoyed.

I would also work out how much money you would have to return by not providing the session that day.... perhaps by seeing how much they would lose to be able to fund raise it may change their minds about closing for a day...

I really have a problem with closing and losing money to try to raise some.. sort of defeats the object a bit...

( Ok perhaps it has never been discussed with LEA, but they are not to know you haven't called to clarify what would happen about funding if you closed for a day with no children)

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)