Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas For Older Children

hi everyone i have never posted before but hopefully i can get some ideas from u all. i have been childminding for 8 mth and look after a 3,7,and10 yr old along with my own 2 and 6 yr old. I am looking for ideas to do with my 10 yr old who just wants to sit infront of comp constantly. i have now said half hour, but he seems bored and not able to offer any suggestions as to what he wants to so. with him in mind i gave everyone a sheet of a3 paper loads of catalogues and w cut out our fave things and stuck them down. i hoped to get loads of ideas but just got loads of army action figures and guns. not sure what to do with this as feel unable to let him go down the gun route due to ofsted/the whole guns hurt people thing. help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee xxxxxx

Hi Jolene and a very warm welcome to the forum - keep posting now that you have started! xD

That's quite a handful you have there!

My 10 yr old grandson would use anything electronic - Computer, TV, games etc. - all the time given half a chance! :o

I do lots of maybe 'old fashioned' things with him - cooking, card games, board games, hangman, drawing, football, walking - but it's usually just us two and not all the different age groups together.......oh he does love any sort of construction - lego, mecanno - has just got into airfix

Will keep thinking.......

Quick edit to say........when I collect him from school, I feel that he needs some time to just 'chill' - I give him what we affectionately call a 'scooby snack' and he watches TV for 15 minutes, then we tackle any homework and then engage in one of the other aforementioned activities!

Edited by sunnyday

Make computer time a reward for doing other stuff - reading a magazine, homework, bit of writing, a diary, another collage but this time with a 'storyline' to it, some cartoons.

At 10 he's getting towards that 'difficult' time when they are always saying they are bored. He will have been working hard all day at school. Presumably he is in Year 6 and the pressure is on, he may have spent the day recording a lot of his work and he needs time to relax and unwind from the pressures of the day, especially when he first comes to you after school. I see nothing wrong with some computer time or a bit of TV and obviously some sort of snack. If he likes construction sets they can present a satisfying challenge or can he do something physical outside like using a net and some balls. Setting a time to get homework out of the way is also a good idea, so that when he goes home his time is his own to do with as he wishes, without that hanging over his head.

Hi

How long do you look after him afterschool? I am lucky the 10 year old I have is for only 30 mins then goes home the problem comes i the holidays but like other have mentioned we do lots of cooking activities, lego and playing games.

Tink69

thanks guys some really good ideas there. its been difficult as i have him from 6am til drop off at school so in the morning he just chills or crashes on the couch in the morning. have him 1-3hrs after but full time in the hols.

any ideas how i should approach the guns thing? i dont have them in the house (toys or real ones :)) but he and 7 yr old make out of lego and paper etc...

thanks xx

thanks guys some really good ideas there. its been difficult as i have him from 6am til drop off at school so in the morning he just chills or crashes on the couch in the morning. have him 1-3hrs after but full time in the hols.

thanks xx

Oh crikey - poor child - he must have to be 'up' at 5:30 am :o

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the 'guns' - boys will be boys! xD

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)