Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Decision Time

I've been childminding for 12+ years and thoroughly enjoying it BUT...

I'm now in the 2nd year fo my FD in Children's and Young People's Integrated Services. I signed up for it when the children I was caring for all started full time school and it seemed the "right" time, both for me and for my daughter who's now 15. Our home would be ours and not full of toddlers and toys when we both had homework to do.

However, one family then announced they were expecting and so I kept going and took on 2 new clients, too. :o

One family left last year which was, to be honest, a relief. I was able to manage without replacing the income and it gave me more free time.

Now the second family are looking to place their daughter in a nursery to take advantage of the 15 hours free funding. They've not given their 4 weeks notice but have forewarned me. I could register for NEF but have never wanted to in the past and don't feel that this would be the best thing for me at this moment in time.

SO.. my dilemma is whether to keep childminding for the 14mth old I have. She's lovely, parents are lovely and very supportive. They've told me to make my decision on what's right for me and mine but I'm torn xD

My heart tells me to carry on and advertise my vacancies but enquiries have been few and far between recently. Also, if I do take on new families, am I being fair knowing that I'd probably look to do something else when I've completed my FD? This would also be the year that my daughter sits her GCSE's and I can't quite picture how study leave is compatible with small children in the house.

My head says that I can't afford to carry on with just one full time, but term time only, client and my before and after school children. I've seen a job posted for a Parent Advocate which would fit brilliantly with my FD. The closing date is a month away so I have a little breathing space there. I was also talking to the Head of a PRU that one of my after school children attends and she's asked me if I'd be interested in working for her.

Family and friends have said "these things happen for a reason" and "one door closes" etc

Is it the fear of the unknown and leaving my comfort zone that's making me so unsure??!

Thoughts please....

Nona

Only you will finally know what's best. It's very hard as our own families grow up to know what to do. I first started working in a pre-school when my children were small and now have my own with all the responsibilities that go with it. This year my daughter sits her A2s. Like you I am in the final year of my Foundation Degree and who knows where that will lead.

There have been times when I have thought of a change but what do you do about the 40 odd children you have and in my case the 6 even odder (only joking) staff. It is a heavy weight of responsibility no matter what the numbers when you know others rely on you.

Sometimes though you have to put yourself and your needs and aspirations first.

Maybe it is worth applying for this job just to test the water?

I hope that whatever your decision you base it around what is best for you and your family.

Wishing the very best

PS: Study leave is a huge misnomer :o for GCSEs it starts about late April / early May and then apart from their exams they don't return to school unless they join a sixth form or college in September so your daughter could be around the house for just over 5 months!

I had to make a similar decision, taking me out of my comfort zone, and I mean right out! I was fortunate that I could keep one foot inside it and stay on where I knew what I was doing at the same time. It has been worth it and I feel a little more comfortable in my new role now. Looking back I think the fact that I was even considering trying something new meant I was ready to do something new, if that makes sense. Could you apply for the job and give the family notice and then return to childminding if it doesn't work out? Would that give you the fall back as it were to help you try something new? Oh and on the subject of children - you can't bank on them at all! Mine were getting very independent I thought and desperate not to have mum hanging around all the time. Then I get another job where I'm not around all the time and suddenly I'm the bad mum who's never there for her kids! You won't win on that score if yours are anything like mine!

I too think that if you are contemplating change it means you are at least ready for something new and different in your life.

You seem to have thought around and around it, pro's cons etc............

I think I would go for the parents advocate job and the one at the pru if I was you.......

because they would offer you financial support, clear the house of children for studying and to widen your own experience and maybe even update your knowledge in an area which is very different to your current role!!

Go for it I think!!!!!!!!!!

A change is often as good as a rest.

Also once you have your degree and looking for a new job, extra experiences on the CV aren't going to hurt at all are they?!!

Good luck x